Win 7 Family Pack Licence RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I just purchased Win7 Upgrade Family Pack, but have not yet opened it.  On the side of the package, it says "For more information, go to www.windows.com/familypacklicense".  This is a dead link that redirects to Bing search answers.  And, none of the links go to the license.  Where can I view this license on line? 

My issue with this is; is the disc supplied a 3 "read" disc?  Which means after 3 installs the disc is no longer usable.  I've built computers before, and usually due to some hardware failure, I have to replace the bad item and reinstall the OS.  I know that many years ago MicroSoft had OS discs that would only read twice, then it was no longer usable and you had to purchase another OS disc.  I just want to make sure that when I install this software and a few (days, weeks, months,...) down the road if I want to put in a snappy new mobo that I will still be able to install Win 7 with this disc.

(I'm sure the license information won't cover this topic, but maybe (you) can let me know about the can-do / can't-do of how this disc is set up.)

Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:56 AM

Answers

• The product uses basically the same model as the 'Home and Student' version of Microsoft Office.  Install media and a single install key which can be used and activated on up to 3 machines concurrently.

The disk itself includes no copy protection mechanism whatsoever.  No current Microsoft product install disk is copy-protected in any way.  You can be fully confident that your install disk(s) will remain usable for as long as you need them to.

It's a license upgrade, of course, so whatever machine(s) you use it on will need to have a qualifying license already.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Hello.  I just purchased Win7 Upgrade Family Pack, but have not yet opened it.  On the side of the package, it says "For more information, go to www.windows.com/familypacklicense".  This is a dead link that redirects to Bing search answers.  And, none of the links go to the license.  Where can I view this license on line? 

My issue with this is; is the disc supplied a 3 "read" disc?  Which means after 3 installs the disc is no longer usable.  I've built computers before, and usually due to some hardware failure, I have to replace the bad item and reinstall the OS.  I know that many years ago MicroSoft had OS discs that would only read twice, then it was no longer usable and you had to purchase another OS disc.  I just want to make sure that when I install this software and a few (days, weeks, months,...) down the road if I want to put in a snappy new mobo that I will still be able to install Win 7 with this disc.

(I'm sure the license information won't cover this topic, but maybe (you) can let me know about the can-do / can't-do of how this disc is set up.)

Thanks for your help.
    Hi Mickey

The Family Pack does not come with a separate End User License Agreement (EULA), it is only mentioned in the Windows 7Home Premium EULA. Here is the text.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computers” and are subject to these license terms. If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=141399 or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.

You can download the Home Premium EULA here:

Download: Windows 7 Home Premium EULA

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hello Mickey,

The Windows 7 Family Pack is an easy and affordable way to get all your PCs in your household running Windows 7 through licensing to install Windows 7 Home Premium on up to 3 PCs. You could install/activate one license per computer no matter how many times you install on the same PC without changing the main hardware device; you can transfer the license from one computer to another via calling Microsoft Activation Center as well. Therefore, you should keep the Windows 7 setup disk for the future's reinstallation. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:11 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:48 AM

All replies

• The product uses basically the same model as the 'Home and Student' version of Microsoft Office.  Install media and a single install key which can be used and activated on up to 3 machines concurrently.

The disk itself includes no copy protection mechanism whatsoever.  No current Microsoft product install disk is copy-protected in any way.  You can be fully confident that your install disk(s) will remain usable for as long as you need them to.

It's a license upgrade, of course, so whatever machine(s) you use it on will need to have a qualifying license already.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:07 AM

Thanks for your help.
    Hi Mickey

The Family Pack does not come with a separate End User License Agreement (EULA), it is only mentioned in the Windows 7Home Premium EULA. Here is the text.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computers” and are subject to these license terms. If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=141399 or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.

You can download the Home Premium EULA here:

Download: Windows 7 Home Premium EULA

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hello Mickey,

The Windows 7 Family Pack is an easy and affordable way to get all your PCs in your household running Windows 7 through licensing to install Windows 7 Home Premium on up to 3 PCs. You could install/activate one license per computer no matter how many times you install on the same PC without changing the main hardware device; you can transfer the license from one computer to another via calling Microsoft Activation Center as well. Therefore, you should keep the Windows 7 setup disk for the future's reinstallation. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:11 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Hello again and thanks to each of you for your replies.  I appreciate the information and look forward to many years of use. I just finished installing Win 7 on my Acer Aspire One 8.9 160GB netbook.  It only took 50 minutes and went as smooth as glass!

(I ran the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor a couple of days ago, and got "green lights" all the way, except for TweakUI.  The results are  what led me to todays purchase.)

Thanks again!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:42 PM
  • you can transfer the license from one computer to another via calling Microsoft Activation Center as well

I'd like to see that in writing, as it defies other OS settings.  Tied to a machine, and non-transferable.

That would be good news for customers, leery about upgrading old metal, that might die tomorrow!
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:32 PM
  • you can transfer the license from one computer to another via calling Microsoft Activation Center as well

I'd like to see that in writing, as it defies other OS settings.  Tied to a machine, and non-transferable.

That would be good news for customers, leery about upgrading old metal, that might die tomorrow!

I'd also like to see that verified further.  It's been topic of conversation here in a number of threads.  The 'qualifying license' was (in many, many cases) tied to the original machine, so how can the upgraded license be transferred and retain status of legitimacy if there was no alternative 'qualifying license' available for that destination machine?

This is a genuine concern held by many people, and it's one which Microsoft should definitively clarify, IMO.  The EULA of the upgraded licensed install suggests that it is permissible, yet the practicalities would seem to prohibit it.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:52 PM
  • I have purchased Win7 Ultimate.  Will the Family Pack provide the licenses I need, or is it the complete OS? 

Can someone confirm that on a dual-boot 32-bit/64-bit Win7 machine, I must purchase TWO licenses for ONE machine?
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:10 PM
  • kprince, the Windows 7 'Family Pack' provides 3x Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade licenses.  It can be installed to 3 separate machines, but each machine must already have a valid qualifying license.  The Family Pack is NOT a standalone 'full license'.  It is not available for Windows 7 Ultimate.

As ridiculous as it sounds, best advice anybody here can give you is that the licensing agreement appears to prohibit having both 32-bit and 64-bit installs in place on the machine concurrently, and using the same product key.  It is *possible* to do that, but it doesn't seem to be *legitimate* to do that and retain legitimately licensed status.

In discussions here regarding the conundrum we've asked for specific comment from Microsoft's legal people/licensing people, but to no avail.

Sorry, but it appears that two licenses is the *safe* approach to take, until and unless Microsoft makes specific formal comment to the contrary.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:32 PM