Clients Not Responding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i've recently installed SCE 2007 eval version and am having a few issues with clients reporting in. i've only selected a handful of servers and pc's as clients and all have had the agent installed successfully. However, when looking in SCE under the computers section, all have 'This computer has not been contacted yet' listed next to them.

they are not listed in Pending Management.

I have managed to uninstall the agent and reinstall from the SCE Console.

From the actions pane, i can use some of the actions (eg ping, display local users on selected devices and so on) but there is no info coming in fromthe agent. It doesnt even display the Operating system version.

Any ideas? 
    Thanks
    aaron

sorry also forgot to say that the following even was found on one of the clients:
    event ID 20070

The OpsMgr Connector connected to LONSCE.domain.com, but the connection was closed immediately after authentication occured. The most likely cause of this error is that the agent is not authorized to communicate with the server, or the server has not received configuration. Check the event log on the server for the presence of 20000 events, indicating that agents which are not approved are attempting to connect.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This indicates that the Windows Update Agent on the client has not yet contacted the SCE server.  To force this:

1. First, check that the client is configured to use the SCE server for Windows Updates.  The following registry entries should be set to https://<SCEServerFQDN>:8531

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\WUServer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\WUStatusServer

2. If the above registry keys are not set correctly, and you are using the Domain Group Policy option, run "gpupdate /force" to refresh the settings.

3. Once the above registry key is correct, you can force the client to contact the server by running "wuauclt -detectnow" on the client.

4. If the steps above cannot help, check the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdates.log on the agent for related error messages.

Here is a similiar issue for your reference:

This computer has not been contacted yet.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/338fc99c-990e-4559-81c7-7a1e6e866f6a

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:12 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This indicates that the Windows Update Agent on the client has not yet contacted the SCE server.  To force this:

1. First, check that the client is configured to use the SCE server for Windows Updates.  The following registry entries should be set to https://<SCEServerFQDN>:8531

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\WUServer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\WUStatusServer

2. If the above registry keys are not set correctly, and you are using the Domain Group Policy option, run "gpupdate /force" to refresh the settings.

3. Once the above registry key is correct, you can force the client to contact the server by running "wuauclt -detectnow" on the client.

4. If the steps above cannot help, check the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdates.log on the agent for related error messages.

Here is a similiar issue for your reference:

This computer has not been contacted yet.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/338fc99c-990e-4559-81c7-7a1e6e866f6a

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:12 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

I’ve not set up the windows updates as yet as i have another server running as a wsus server. I'm only trialling SCE so don’t want to start shifting my wsus update server around.

is it essential for SCE to run?

thanks
    Aaron

Friday, April 24, 2009 9:49 AM
  • sorry Yog Li - just read the thread you had at the bottom of your reply.

Sucks that i need to take some clients and servers out of the current wsus gp to get this working just so i can trial it.

thanks though.
    aaron
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:53 AM
  • Hello Aaron,

You are correct. An agent cannot be managed by the SCE server if it reports to another WSUS server.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:11 AM