missing cd drive RRS feed

• Question

• apparently i cannot get my cd drive to open (bar paperclip) close properly, or even be recognised, im using windows vista premium and the cd drive icon is missing from the my computer interface. does anyone have any ideas on what to do?
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:37 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

This kind of issue may be caused by incompatible CD/DVD-burning software or damaged registry information. Let's perform the following steps to troubleshoot it:

Step 1: If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2: Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3: Remove the DVD-ROM drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer again. Does the DVD-ROM appears and work properly now?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:18 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

This kind of issue may be caused by incompatible CD/DVD-burning software or damaged registry information. Let's perform the following steps to troubleshoot it:

Step 1: If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2: Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3: Remove the DVD-ROM drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer again. Does the DVD-ROM appears and work properly now?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:18 AM
  •  

Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks and Regards,

Robbin Meng

Monday, December 24, 2007 10:47 AM
  • Thanks Robbin,

My missing DVD has now been recovered.

I use operating system Windows XP, so where you used the words "Start Search", I used RUN from the Start menu.

I followed your instructions up to Step3: #3 Right Click the DVD-ROM drive, and click UNINSTALL.

I did not perform this step.  Is it really necessary?  My DVD-ROM drive now appears on MY COMPUTER and seems to be working perfectly.

My ITUNES software was not so happy, complaining that the registry values had been removed and that I had to re-install ITUNES.  But it all worked anyway.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:54 AM