none
MX record question

Question

• Maybe this is not truly an Exchange question, but as it relates to Exchange I selected this forum.

We have internal DNS servers, historically we have had MX records listed ion these servers (we have some third party systems that cannot use auto discover or are able to store configuration settings that point to where the mail servers are).

When we upgraded to Exchange 2013 a third party company did most of the work, and it looks like they pointed these MX records to the mailbox servers rather than the CAS servers or email gateway.

The original 2 mailbox server are being retired and replaced, mostly due to us moving to a new SAN provider, the old SAN had proprietary snapshot software that does not play well with the new SAN so we cannot migrate the machines (they are VMs).

My question is this, should the internal MX records point to the mailbox or CAS servers, or even the email gateway? I would think the CAS servers but the current config has worked for 3 years... I just want to make sure I make the correct changes rather than cause an outage.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hi

Your MX should not point to the CAS server. The HT and MBX role are combined in Exchange 2013.

You can test it, telnet to your gateway on port 25 and see if it accepts the command.

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by GADavies Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi

Your MX should not point to the CAS server. The HT and MBX role are combined in Exchange 2013.

You can test it, telnet to your gateway on port 25 and see if it accepts the command.

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by GADavies Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:29 PM