none
Desktop computer on shutdown issues RRS feed

• Question

• When I shut down my desktop computer, the monitor turns black and the computer does not turn off and there still appears to be activity over the internet.  I removed internet access by removing the cable and the computer continued to work on something and eventually it shut down.  What is the best way to diagnose the reason for the activity after I requested shutdown and before it actually turned off?  

This happened the day after the 12/2017 Windows update and an Adobe Creative Cloud update.  Do either of these have anything to do with this?  If this is due to Windows shouldn't it have the usual message... Do not turn off your computer.

Looking at Event Viewer I'm seeing some NextScheduledSPRetry errors after shutdown and before I disconnected internet.

In Event Viewer > System, I see logoff, then Customer Experience Improvement Program, then entering sleep, then Background Intelligent Transfer Service demanded start, and then I disconnected the network.  Is Microsoft's Customer Experience Improvement keeping my computer on for 3 minutes after shutdown - is this the issue?  If it is, I would feel a lot better if it would tell me what it is doing.  Is it staying on because it is sleeping instead of shutting down?  I asked it to shut down, not sleep, so not sure why it is sleeping.

Yesterday I Stopped Remote Action Connection Manager because I saw a remote connection and didn't know why.

Wish Microsoft still had Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.  Not sure where to start diagnosing this or what to do about it.  My antivirus software isn't providing any popup warnings, so it thinks the computer is safe.

Worried.

• Edited by PamPierce Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:09 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:44 PM

All replies

• Kindly go through the workarounds as mentioned here:

Fix "Windows 10 Won’t Shut Down" after Creators Update.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, December 15, 2017 12:32 AM
  • Hi PamPierce,

As an experienced system user, I think you could use Windows Performance Toolkit to diagnose the shutdown process, this tool including a component called Windows Performance Recorder (WPR), which is a powerful recording tool that creates Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) recordings, tick shutdown process in UI then shutdown your computer(if meet with issue, cut off network as you done before), next, use WPA to analyze circumstance.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit

About Customer Experience Improvement Program, your concern seems to be reasonable, this program is used for collecting statistical, non-identifiable information about user system configuration, when it running, it will collect information and deliver to Microsoft via Internet, network card will influence shutdown time. Try to disable it to check result.

Open Task Scheduler (Local) pane of the Task Scheduler dialog box, expand the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows nodes and open the Application Experience folder.

Disable the AITAgent and ProgramDataUpdater tasks.

In the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows node, open the Customer Experience Improvement Program folder.

Disable the Consolidator, KernelCEIPTask, and Use CEIP tasks.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:43 AM