Default behavior of the Navigation Pane in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  In Office 2007, there is an option called "Thumbnails" that will show you on the left side small thumbnails of every page in a document the way of Powerpoint 2007.  In Office 2010 there is a similar option called "Navigation Pane" that has an option called "Browse pages" that is similar to Thumbnails in Word 2007.  My question is: If I select "Browse pages" for a specific document, and then I close Word 2010, the next time I open Word, the navigation pane is still open, but it reverts back to "Browse Headings".  Is there a way to make the default behavior that every time I open Word 2010, it is directly on the "Browse pages" tab? (Maybe by changing an option or modifying the registry)?  I've spent hours trying to search this on the internet without luck.  Thanks in advanced.
    • Edited by Kakaroto777 Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:15 AM Correction
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:13 AM

Answers

• Now that we have that clarified.

If you really want it add the following code to Normal

Sub AutoExec()
        Application.OnTime When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), Name:="NP"
    End Sub

Sub NP()
        SendKeys "%", True
        SendKeys "^{Tab}{Tab 3}{Enter}"
    End Sub

Press Alt+F11, Insert, Module and paste the code above into the code sheet on the right.

I am not a big fan of SendKeys but sometimes it does what nothing else can.

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, July 5, 2010 1:28 AM
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 1:29 AM

All replies

• I presume you are refering the the File Open dialog box?  Its behavior has nothing to do with Office 2007 or 2010, it is controlled by Windows.  The Thumbnails option in Windows XP is still available in Windows7: When you choose Open notice the help button on the far right on a bar near the top.  There is a drop down arrow two icons to the left of that, open it and you will see Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large Icons - so now you have four choices similar to Thumbnails.

When you pick one of these, when you next return to the file open dialog box in all Office program you should see your layout the way you left it.

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 5:15 AM
  • No.  What he is talking about is the Navigation Pane that is accessed from the View tab in Word.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Shane Devenshire" wrote in message news:2dc86581-b5b8-4e6d-bbc1-78de85850f45@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I presume you are refering the the File Open dialog box?  Its behavior has nothing to do with Office 2007 or 2010, it is controlled by Windows.  The Thumbnails option in Windows XP is still available in Windows7: When you choose Open notice the help button on the far right on a bar near the top. There is a drop down arrow two icons to the left of that, open it and you will see Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large Icons - so now you have four choices similar to Thumbnails.

When you pick one of these, when you next return to the file open dialog box in all Office program you should see your layout the way you left it.

-- If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:54 AM
  • It doesn't appear that the Navigation Pane can be controlled by the use of Code or that there is anyway to preset the objects by which it is browsed. It is however just one click of the mouse to change the browse mode from Headings to Pages.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Kakaroto777" wrote in message news:eba448f2-e77a-40f8-997a-69bb93bd458d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi.  In Office 2007, there is an option called "Thumbnails" that will show you on the left side small thumbnails of every page in a document the way of Powerpoint 2007.  In Office 2010 there is a similar option called "Navigation Pane" that has an option called "Browse pages" that is similar to Thumbnails in Word 2007.  My question is: If I select "Browse pages" for a specific document, and then I close Word 2010, the next time I open Word, the navigation pane is still open, but it reverts back to "Browse Headings".  Is there a way to make the default behavior that every time I open Word 2010, it is directly on the "Browse pages" tab? (Maybe by changing an option or modifying the registry)?  I've spent hours trying to search this on the internet without luck.  Thanks in advanced.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Now that we have that clarified.

If you really want it add the following code to Normal

Sub AutoExec()
        Application.OnTime When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), Name:="NP"
    End Sub

Sub NP()
        SendKeys "%", True
        SendKeys "^{Tab}{Tab 3}{Enter}"
    End Sub

Press Alt+F11, Insert, Module and paste the code above into the code sheet on the right.

I am not a big fan of SendKeys but sometimes it does what nothing else can.

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, July 5, 2010 1:28 AM
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Similar question:  how do I change the Navigation Pane so that it defaults to the "Browse the results..." tab instead of the "Browse the headings..." tab?

Thanks

David Rabin

Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:09 PM