Possible for TypedPaths to be written immediately instead of cached until log off? RRS feed

• Question

• If you use the Address toolbar on the Windows taskbar, this reads the contents of HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths whenever you begin typing anything into it. It uses the contents of the TypedPaths key to display URL suggestions drawn from previously typed URLs.

I find this a really handy facility. Unfortunately, when a new URL is typed into the Address toolbar, it seems to be cached in memory and is only written to the registry when you log off or restart. I have confirmed by using ProcMon that the updated memory-cached URLs are written to the registry at log off, and not before.

Explorer does not seem to use its memory cache to display suggestions. In summary, it looks up the TypedPaths registry key contents every time typing begins in the Address toolbar and uses those for suggestions and it stores new URLs in memory, but it doesn't write to the registry until logoff and it doesn't use its memory cache for suggestions.

E.g. I type a new URL that I have not typed before, say "www.intel.com", into the Address toolbar. I visit some other sites and then want to visit this one again. I begin typing "www.intel.com" in the Address toolbar but I have to type the entire URL. It is not offered as a suggestion. However, when I log off, the cached entries in memory are written to the registry and then, when I log on again, www.intel.com is offered as a suggestion as soon as I begin to type the first few characters.

This is slightly odd behaviour. I would have expected typed URLs to be made available for suggestion right away.

Is there any way to get Explorer to a) use its in-memory cache for URL suggestions (as well as the TypedPaths registry key) or b) get it to write new typed URLs to the registry immediately so that they are available for suggestions straight away?

I am aware that IE's Address box provides greater functionality but Explorer's Address toolbar has the advantage of being there all the time and handles directory and file paths as well as URLs.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:41 AM

Answers

• Linda,

Thank you for your reply. However, you simply restated everything I had, myself, stated in the original message! It didn't give me any new information or address the specific questions I had asked.

The core thrust of my queries was: Is there a way to get the Windows Explorer Address toolbar to re-read the TypedPaths key without logging off (or otherwise get it to update its suggestion cache in realtime), and you didn't actually directly address this query.

I presume, from the nature of your reply, that there is in fact no way to do this.

Try broadcasting a WM_SETTINGCHANGE message by, for example, configuring the taskbar to auto-hide, click Apply, and then revert the change. This will force a re-read of the registry key in a few seconds.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by MarkRLondon Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:10 PM
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:10 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi MarkRLondon,

You have to log off and then log on to write the address bar history on Taskbar into the registry key. This is because the TypedPaths key is related to the user profile, the latest registry key value will be loaded and read after logging in the user account.

To workaround this, you can use the address bar in Internet Explorer (IE) which will take effect immediately after loading the webpage.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Linda,

Thank you for your reply. However, you simply restated everything I had, myself, stated in the original message! It didn't give me any new information or address the specific questions I had asked.

The core thrust of my queries was: Is there a way to get the Windows Explorer Address toolbar to re-read the TypedPaths key without logging off (or otherwise get it to update its suggestion cache in realtime), and you didn't actually directly address this query.

I presume, from the nature of your reply, that there is in fact no way to do this.

Friday, July 23, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Linda,

Try broadcasting a WM_SETTINGCHANGE message by, for example, configuring the taskbar to auto-hide, click Apply, and then revert the change. This will force a re-read of the registry key in a few seconds.

• Marked as answer by MarkRLondon Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:10 PM
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Linda,

Daniel,

Thank you very much indeed. This works perfectly.

The registry write (it's a registry write that is required to flush the in-memory cache to the registry where it will be re-read every time it's needed) occurs around 15s after changing the settings. I should have thought of trying this.

I'll see if I can figure out how to automate this programatically.

• Edited by MarkRLondon Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:11 PM Typo
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:10 PM