How can I get Java to function on Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to play the games on Pogo.com, however they won't load.

I've been to the Java website, which says it's fully functioning, though it clearly isn't.

I have tried Firefox 3, Firefox 64-bit, IE8.

The games loaded once, and once only, and that was after I had installed the Java SDK7 beta.

If anyone could be as kind to help me, then that would be fantastic, thank you.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:05 PM

Answers

• I managed to get it working, though It's only a make-do solution.

I uninstalled all versions of Java, then installed a 32-bit version AND the 64-bit SDK (only way to support 64 bit as far as I'm aware).

At this point, Java would not load in IE8 OR Firefox. However, whilst I was trying to sort Java over the past 24 hours or so, I installed a beta version of Firefox, named Minefield. It's just 64-bit I think.

In Minefield, Java is fully functional, and the games load.

In IE8 and FF, Java will not work.

I'm quite happy using a seperate browser until IE and FF (or Java) are updated to become functional.

I just wanted to post my ad-hock solution, incase anyone else shares a similar issue.

Bren

• Marked as answer by Bren24 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:18 PM

All replies

• I would imagine that running once was a pretty sure sign of TEMP file problems. I suggest trying the Disk Cleanup utility (cleanmgr.exe).

You may also be missing the yellow bar at the top of the browser that needs your acceptance before running the game.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:41 PM
  • I managed to get it working, though It's only a make-do solution.

I uninstalled all versions of Java, then installed a 32-bit version AND the 64-bit SDK (only way to support 64 bit as far as I'm aware).

At this point, Java would not load in IE8 OR Firefox. However, whilst I was trying to sort Java over the past 24 hours or so, I installed a beta version of Firefox, named Minefield. It's just 64-bit I think.

In Minefield, Java is fully functional, and the games load.

In IE8 and FF, Java will not work.

I'm quite happy using a seperate browser until IE and FF (or Java) are updated to become functional.

I just wanted to post my ad-hock solution, incase anyone else shares a similar issue.

Bren

• Marked as answer by Bren24 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Install the latest JRE versions of JAVA. If you are using x64 Windows 7 then both 32 and 64 bit versiona of JAVA are required.
    JAVA works fine in both IE 32 and IE 64 bit on my x64 Windows 7.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Also had your problem.

I was using Goggle and Chrome.

I changed to MSN home page and Internet Explorer.

Use Ctrl + Alt before hitting enter on preference screen.

Hope this help you.

Sunday, September 1, 2013 2:52 AM