none
Installing Steady State on 2003 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Good day, I am a newly appointed Network Administrator in a Library where the last Administrator really didnt not restrict the users. I am running a 2003 Domain Server and created OU's and would like to use many of Steady States features like the GP Template, WDM,scheduling windows updates but I dont even know how to start. Please excuse my ignorance... can anyone help me out... I guess my first question will be should I install Steady State on my Server as well as my test client?

-Berdo
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:39 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Berdo, you do not need to install Windows SteadyState on the server. In fact, Windows SteadyState can only be installed on Windows XP and Windows Vista system (32 bit).

Monday, November 3, 2008 3:39 AM
  • you are going to want to get the group policy templates off of the steadystate file, wherever you put that.

you will be able to utilize steadystate via group policy to send it to the computers on your network.

if you do not know group policy, I would suggest Group Policy: Management, troubleshooting and security by Jeremy Moskowitz.  you can get it on Amazon or from gpanswers.com

I would also suggest a GP class as well.  Very worth your time and money.

I hope this helps

Monday, November 3, 2008 11:10 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Berdo, you do not need to install Windows SteadyState on the server. In fact, Windows SteadyState can only be installed on Windows XP and Windows Vista system (32 bit).

Monday, November 3, 2008 3:39 AM
  • you are going to want to get the group policy templates off of the steadystate file, wherever you put that.

you will be able to utilize steadystate via group policy to send it to the computers on your network.

if you do not know group policy, I would suggest Group Policy: Management, troubleshooting and security by Jeremy Moskowitz.  you can get it on Amazon or from gpanswers.com

I would also suggest a GP class as well.  Very worth your time and money.

I hope this helps

Monday, November 3, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Thanks alot, I currently have installed Microsofts Group policy manager and I started using the Template provided by Steady State... and everything looks to be working smoothly. Thanks for the help!

I even found a script allowing Symantec Endpoint updates, the only thing left is configuring WSUS updates. 

-Berdo

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:40 PM