none
System Centre Data Protection Manager 2010 Disk Back up RRS feed

• Question

• I have encountered an Issue with DPM 2010 and appreciate any help I can get to clarify. 

Scenario:

I have two External ISCSI NAS storage Mediums let's call it week 1 and week 2.  I would like to use DPM to backup my entire sytem to these drives and then rotate them on a week 1, week 2 basis taking one copy off-site weekly. 

I currently have both these External storage Mediums Connected in a Disk Pool, When I disconnect Week 1 all backups fails is there anything I can do?

I also have a hunch that it could be because of the ISCSI initiator that tries to reconnect the missing ISCSI drive then fails it on DPM, but not to sure that, that actually can be a issue as DPM should use the active or available drive right?

Kind Regards Daniel Mostert

Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM creates two volumes per protected data source on the disk(s) in the DPM storage pool, a replica volume used for the initial backup and a recovery point volume used for recovery points. You cannot remove disks from the DPM storage pool if they have any volumes on them from protection group / data sources. Doing so will break all protection for data sources using the disk(s).

You are better off adding a tape drive and enabling long lerm protection, or add a secondary DPM server offsite. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 5, 2012 1:14 AM