none
Can't find a definitive answer: New Retention Tag/Policy stamped on MBX/Folder. How is 'Delete' date calculated and executed for old messages? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been looking and looking for this answer for a long time, and now have my legal dept posing the question to me for a corporate retention policy.

We have years of old retained mail in O365 mailboxes, and want to deploy a retention policy to delete after 2 years.  The question is, when the 2-year policy is stamped on the mailbox/folder and the MFA process runs on the mailboxes, when will the actual deletion take place, esp for mail that was delivered older than the 2-year period?

1. 2 years from the date the policy was stamped on the msg, regardless of the age of the message?  (i.e. if a msg was received in 2010, the msg will not be deleted until two years from the date of the policy stamp, <i.e. 2019>). 
    2. Immediately after the policy is stamped on the msg, and it is detected that the msg is older than 2 years in the mailbox.

I guess I've never been able to figure out if the 'deletion date' is based on the absolute delivery/sent date in the mailbox, or when a policy is stamped on a mailbox/folder.  When does the clock start, and how is the time calculated relative to the retention period for the folder/mailbox?

The same thing applies if I were to apply a different policy with a longer/shorter retention policy to a set of mailboxes.  What then?

Thanks!

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it again? - John Wooden

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:32 AM

Answers

• Option 2, Messages that are older than the Policy stamp would be deleted.

Regards,

Fazal

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Monday, January 30, 2017 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by SummitSupportIT Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:50 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 5:16 PM

All replies

• Check the article below: How retention age is calculated

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430780(v=exchg.150).aspx

Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:36 AM
  • Option 2, Messages that are older than the Policy stamp would be deleted.

Regards,

Fazal

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Monday, January 30, 2017 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by SummitSupportIT Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:50 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 5:16 PM