Windows 10 Graphics Card RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I am looking in to downloading the Windows 10 preview. I would like to know if you absolutely need Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device to run it. Thanks is you answer!
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:02 PM

Answers

• If the Windows 10 TP installs on a system with an ancient graphics you would have to settle for the basic VGA display which I think is possibly 1024 x 768 or maybe only 640 x 480.  You must have a DirectX 9 WDDM video driver.

Windows 10 Technical Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 8.1:

• Processor: 1 GHz or faster
    • RAM: 1 GB (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    • A Microsoft account and Internet access

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi Christian4561,

Before you install Windows 10 Technical Preview, I suggest we read the article below first:

Before you install

For the system requirements part, as listed by R T F M, yes, Graphics card should be Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.

Basically, if your PC can run Windows 8.1, you’re good to go. If you're not sure, don't worry—Windows will check your system to make sure it can install the preview.

If any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:24 AM

All replies

• If the Windows 10 TP installs on a system with an ancient graphics you would have to settle for the basic VGA display which I think is possibly 1024 x 768 or maybe only 640 x 480.  You must have a DirectX 9 WDDM video driver.

Windows 10 Technical Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 8.1:

• Processor: 1 GHz or faster
    • RAM: 1 GB (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    • A Microsoft account and Internet access

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi Christian4561,

Before you install Windows 10 Technical Preview, I suggest we read the article below first:

Before you install

For the system requirements part, as listed by R T F M, yes, Graphics card should be Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.

Basically, if your PC can run Windows 8.1, you’re good to go. If you're not sure, don't worry—Windows will check your system to make sure it can install the preview.

If any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:24 AM