none
Remote Desktop with Firefox client? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have set up a Remote Desktop (User Defined) app on a UAG Server (with Update 1 & 2).  All works perfectly fine, except when the (Windows) client connects using Firefox or Google Chrome.  Using these two browsers, the published app does not appear.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks
    Tony

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:37 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid Chrome is not a supported platform for UAg. Which version of Firefox are we talking about?

here's a list of supported platforms:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd920232.aspx

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, October 25, 2010 10:03 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Hi Ben

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was testing with the latest build (3.6.11), but after seeing your post, I uninstalled it and installed ver 3.5.14.  Same result, the app is not presented.

I was doing some research online and found a few things about RDP through a web browser requiring an ActiveX control, which Firefox doesn't have an option for and therefore it was not possible.

Can you confirm this is the case?  If it is then the documentation from Microsoft needs to be corrected, and I'll have a VERY unhappy client.

Thanks
    Tony

• Marked as answer by TKroukamp Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:48 PM

All replies

• I'm afraid Chrome is not a supported platform for UAg. Which version of Firefox are we talking about?

here's a list of supported platforms:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd920232.aspx

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, October 25, 2010 10:03 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Hi Ben

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was testing with the latest build (3.6.11), but after seeing your post, I uninstalled it and installed ver 3.5.14.  Same result, the app is not presented.

I was doing some research online and found a few things about RDP through a web browser requiring an ActiveX control, which Firefox doesn't have an option for and therefore it was not possible.

Can you confirm this is the case?  If it is then the documentation from Microsoft needs to be corrected, and I'll have a VERY unhappy client.

Thanks
    Tony

• Marked as answer by TKroukamp Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Hi Amigo. Could you check if RDP (predefined) works? The client needs to have the SSL Wrapper component installed and in the properties of the published application please check that in the Client Settings Tab,the radio button for Socket Forwarder is set to Disabled.

Regards

// Raúl - I love this game
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:06 PM
  • The only options available under 'Client Settings' for Remote Desktop apps is the Display resolution and Display colors.  You don't get to see those options.  

Those options do appear when you use TS Client Tunneling, and I'm pretty sure those would work with Firefox, but the client has a specific need to block drive mapping, copy/paste and printing functionality, which TS Client Tunneling doesn't seem to allow you to control.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Hi Amig@. You are right. The RDP connection uses the rol of RDP Gateway that is installed on UAG to connect to the Terminal Servers. Firefox should be a supported browser for Windows 2008 RDS. If it is not, it will not work through UAG either.

Regards

// Raúl - I love this game
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:39 AM
  • You should still be able to access the published RemoteApps, you just won't be able to use RDWeb to see the list of icons.  If you end user computers are Windows 7 you could consider publishing the RemoteApps to the start button through Group Policy.  If not maybe you just save the RDP files and place them on a different web server.
    MrShannon | TechNuggets Blog | Concurrency Blogs
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:11 PM