MMC could not create the snap-in Server 2008 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following error in my Windows Server 2008

MMC could not create the snap-in.  The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.
    name: Server Manager
    CLSID: FX:{18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb}

I have not been able to find a server that has the same files as listed in other references but none of those other servers have the same issue:

• "On another Windows Server 2008 x64 or Windows Vista x64 computer, in thec:\windows\servicing\packages folder, 6 KB948609 related files may exist. Please copy all of them from that computer to c:\windows\servicing\packages on the problematic computer."

So any assistance would be great.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:16 PM

Answers

• I know this is an old post but here is the solution.  The error had to do with a .NET update.  I found this answer from this blog so I have to give credit to the author.

Navigate to one of the two paths (depending on which architecture version of Server 2008 you have installed) and change the file machine.config to machine.config.old and reboot the server.

x86-32 – C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\

x86-64 – C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:01 AM

All replies

• "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Hello,

Has System Update Readiness Tool been run on this server? Any errors or corrupt files it found?

1.Get the Microsoft Update Readiness Tool from the location: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    2.Run the Microsoft Update Readiness Tool on the problematic computer.
    3.You open the %Systemroot%\Windows\logs\CBS\Checksur.log file after the scan was completed.

Advanced guidelines for diagnosing and fixing servicing corruption
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(WS.10).aspx

Thanks
    Zhang

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Sorry, not able to cut and paste it out.  Here's what I got.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:06 PM
  • I take that back...  I can cut and paste:

Here is the error from the MMC:

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ClassLibraryServices.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IClassLibraryServices.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInInitializationOperation.OnStart()
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RunningOperationsTable.EnqueueOperation(Operation operation)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.StandAloneComponentData..ctor(SnapInRegistrationInfo info, Int32 bookkeepingId)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.FrameworkSnapInFactory.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.ISnapInFactory.CreateSnapIn(Int32 bookkeepingId, String snapInKey, Object& snapIn)

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:08 PM
  • I know this is an old post but here is the solution.  The error had to do with a .NET update.  I found this answer from this blog so I have to give credit to the author.

Navigate to one of the two paths (depending on which architecture version of Server 2008 you have installed) and change the file machine.config to machine.config.old and reboot the server.

x86-32 – C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\

x86-64 – C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:01 AM