How to set up a web based client in Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to set up nhs.net (a web based mail client) as my default client.

Is there any way to do it? 

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:22 PM

Answers

• Okay, I got it to work fiddling with the registry.

Run REGEDIT and find My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\Shell\Open\Command

Change the (Default) value to IEXPLORE.EXE NHS.NET

It's not the nicest solution, but it works.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:24 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to the choice of e-mail associated with clicking a "mail-to" link in a browser, it depends on what browser you're using.

If you are using IE, I believe that it has to be an application installed on your system (outlook, outlook express, lotus notes, etc) except for Windows Live Hotmail.

Some web-mail sites have ways to download software that will allow this (gmail is one example), so you may want to check with nhs.net if they have something similar.

As for other browsers, I believe there's a way to do it in Firefox. You can read about that here:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Monday, November 28, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Thank you, I've checked with nhs.net helpdesk, but they said it's not possible. If gmail can do it shouldn't be impossible! (-;

Maybe there is a macro one could create to at least open a webpage  whenever there is a "mailto" link or a button. Can Autohotkey do such things? I suppose I should try their forum.

Thanks again (-:

Monday, November 28, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Thank you, I've checked with nhs.net helpdesk, but they said it's not possible. If gmail can do it shouldn't be impossible! (-;

Maybe there is a macro one could create to at least open a webpage  whenever there is a "mailto" link or a button. Can Autohotkey do such things? I suppose I should try their forum.

Thanks again (-:

Gmail will not make the "mailto" option work in Internet Explorer or Firefox.  You must have an email application installed on the system to get the "mailto" option.  It's as simple as that.  Then you must have an email account somewhere for the link to be sent to another person!

Very simple: 1. installed email program.  2. setup email account.  3.  "mailto" option will then be available.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Edited by Rick Dee Monday, November 28, 2011 7:14 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Okay, I got it to work fiddling with the registry.

Run REGEDIT and find My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\Shell\Open\Command

Change the (Default) value to IEXPLORE.EXE NHS.NET

It's not the nicest solution, but it works.

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Thank you that's very helpful! I can't wait to test it at work tomorrow (-:

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:43 PM