Sony Vaio BOOTMGR is missing,Press clt+alt+del to restart RRS feed

• Question

• I dont know much about computers but my can work on it with assistance if someone can guide me how to correct this problem.

I dont have the vista installation as recommended in a forum.Please help.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I had this same issue and it was finally resolved by searching another windows 7 system for the bootmgr file. (make sure hidden files are visible).  i copied this to a usb flash drive.

in order to get it on the damaged machine I had to boot it up using the Ultimate Boot Disk.

You can search for this on google, download it and burn the .ISO to a DVD.

Once booted into this disk you can use Parted Magic.  Just choose the default settings.

Once in this program click on mount drives and copy the bootmgr file from the usb flash drive to the root folder of your primary hard drive.  restart and this is what resolved my issue.

I tried EVERY other way and it still gave me the same error.

• Proposed as answer by Laremye Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:06 PM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:18 PM

All replies

• Friday, February 19, 2010 11:25 AM
  • Hi thanks for the response.

I manage everything  fine till I get the windows vista on my cd and when I try to install thru the windows recovery options for the drive for installation I cant find the file anywhere.

Tried the command option..it ran fine but still no luck and am back to the message bootmgr missing press alt+ctrl+del
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

When you at the command option did you type:

1. X:\Sources>bootrec /fixmbr
    2. X:\Sources>bootrec /fixboot
    3. X:\Sources>bootrec /scanos
    4. X:\Sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd

Does it show : The operation completed successfully.

If not what did it show ? 

Hope you find the info useful
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:35 AM
  • Hey after every command  it readsas the operation completed successfully but when you restart it goes back to BOOTMGR MISSING...press alt+ctrl+dlt.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

At the command prompt

type: diskpart
    type: list disk
    type: select disk 0 (should be disk 0 if only 1 disk)
    type: list partition
    type: select partition 1 (should be partition 1 if only 1 operating system)
    type: active
    type: exit
    close the command windows  & restart .

Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:57 AM
  • thank you for your response.
    followed your steps and it still goes back to the same problem.

also after list partition it gives me 2 partition and not 1.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

Try  this again at the command prompt.

Input "bootsect.exe /nt60 c:" (without quotes)

If it still doesn't work try the command as "bootsect.exe /nt60 all" (without quotes)

Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:03 AM
  • Tried partition1 ...tried partition 2..no luck

bootsect.exe /nt60 c    says bootsect.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command.operable program or batch file.

bootsect.exe /nt60 all same message as above
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Hi, i read from here 

Now we get rid of the old BCD registry, and create a new one instead.
    Note: We're assuming that the boot drive is drive C: below. If your computer is configured differently, be sure to use the appropriate drive letter here instead.

del C:\boot\bcd
    bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp
    bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"
    bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp
    bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
    bcdedit.exe /timeout 10
    del c:\boot\bcd.temp

Now we have a clean, working Vista bootloader. But we need to add a Vista entry to it:

bcdedit.exe /create /d "Windows Vista" /application osloader

bcdedit.exe should return a message with a GUID for the newly-created entry, something like this:
    <tt>The entry {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} was successfully created.</tt>

You'll need to use the value that bcdedit.exe returned for you below, along with the drive letter for the drive that Windows Vista is installed to:

bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} device partition=C:
    bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} osdevice partition=C:
    bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} systemroot \Windows

And, last of all, tell the Vista bootloader to boot the new entry by default:

bcdedit.exe /displayorder {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}
    bcdedit.exe /default {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}

• Proposed as answer by advanceduser Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:06 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:53 AM
  • In the system recovery options for load driver I check what drives I have available and they are:

Hard disk drives:3

Local disk:C
    Boot(X:) am assuming this is the one you are ref to.
    Recovery:E

Devices with removable storage-1

CD drive(D)
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:03 AM
  • okay so I got till

replacing all the C for E.(E is my recovery drive)at the third step it says the boot configuration data store could not be opened.The system cannot find the file specified.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:09 AM
  • The link you sent said I should use the driv eof my cd/dvd.This is what happens.

del D:\boot\bcd
    D:\boot\bcd
    Access is denied.

Have I messed up my comp real bad with all the trial attempts to get it back in working order..?

Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Hi,
    Start from here again completed each line press enter just use C:
    bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp
    bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
    bcdedit.exe /timeout 10
    del c:\boot\bcd.temp

Now we have a clean, working Vista bootloader. But we need to add a Vista entry to it:

bcdedit.exe /create /d "Windows Vista" /application osloader

bcdedit.exe should return a message with a GUID for the newly-created entry, something like this:
    <tt>The entry {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} was successfully created.</tt>

You'll need to use the value that bcdedit.exe returned for you below, along with the drive letter for the drive that Windows Vista is installed to:

bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} device partition=C:
    bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} osdevice partition=C:
    bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} systemroot \Windows

And, last of all, tell the Vista bootloader to boot the new entry by default:

bcdedit.exe /displayorder {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}
    bcdedit.exe /default {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}

Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Hi,
    If every step above OK and still cannot boot to Vista you may want to check  SATA Controller should be in native mode in the bios.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Can you guide me how to do that..dunno whats a SATA Controller and how do I get to BIOS.?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

To enter BIOS try this http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

Also I don't have Sony Vaio but you can check at Sony Vaio Web Site. 
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:16 AM
  • I still have not been able to move past my initial problem.

Been communicating with Sony India and Sony US and no help..they dont even respond back and all I keep doing is asking for a installation CD.How can I get a installation cd as the neosmart thingy I download does not show a file on my cd/dvd when I run it in RE.

Also what about the OS as I get no OS found error.

Someone help me asap...cant find a job with a comp.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:11 PM
  • I bought a SONY VAIO with WINDOWS 7 os pre installed (one C large partition of 400 GB) -  then i reduced the C partition and installed XP.

After XP installation the partition layout was : C-olny 100 MB with boot files for Windows 7 / D-the partition where i have installed XP / E-the partition where was installed WINDOWS 7. Then from XP i try to create a dual boot os startup (with bcdedit..) and now the boot manager prompts with two os (Windows 7 and XP) but the only loadable os is Windows 7 (for XP boot manager display "\ntldr missing"...). Now with Windows 7 os running the visible partitions are : C-Windows 7 os installed / D-XP os installed... May be that your Sony Vaio os is installed on 2 partitions (C and D - one of them is hidden..) ?

Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:11 PM
  • hi dillion70,

you can go into any good pc shop and purchase an instaltion cd quite cheeply and then you will be able to perform a clean install and you will have 30 days to activate the software, do not delete any files after you have completed a clean install because there will be a file saved afterwards called windows.old which you will need when you contact Microsoft to activate your os from there the tech guys will till you how to gain that information along with other information on your laptop that they will need to prove the correct key is issued to the correct os.

hope this helps

yours

ashley

Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Hi,

I had this same issue and it was finally resolved by searching another windows 7 system for the bootmgr file. (make sure hidden files are visible).  i copied this to a usb flash drive.

in order to get it on the damaged machine I had to boot it up using the Ultimate Boot Disk.

You can search for this on google, download it and burn the .ISO to a DVD.

Once booted into this disk you can use Parted Magic.  Just choose the default settings.

Once in this program click on mount drives and copy the bootmgr file from the usb flash drive to the root folder of your primary hard drive.  restart and this is what resolved my issue.

I tried EVERY other way and it still gave me the same error.

• Proposed as answer by Laremye Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:06 PM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Hi Laremye,

I have got the same problem in my Sony Vaio with Windows 7 but i guess i incurred the problem by shrinking the active partition(C:) and tried to create another data partition...since i don have an external bootup source is there any ways of solving with command prompt !!??

Regards,

VJ....!!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Hi, I am having the same problem on my Sony Model #PCV-RS430G which has Windows XP on it. I cant boot up to windows just like this guy cant and I have tried everything like tring my restore dicks, powering everything down and disconnecting all power. Yet that doesn't work. It says like his I don't have a bootmgr. I tried some of the steps you told the uy try on his Vista but that didn't help me on my XP. Like:

1. X:\Sources>bootrec /fixmbr
    2. X:\Sources>bootrec /fixboot
    3. X:\Sources>bootrec /scanos
    4. X:\Sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd

I have even tried to install windows over again from a Windows 7 disk yet when it gets to the setup screen it wouldn't let me for it shows 3 different partitions (Disk 0 Partition 1 - Disk 0 Partition 2 - Disk 0 Partition 3 )and they all deny me from installing on them. Any hep would be appreciated.

Thanks, Marie

Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:57 PM
  • alright now I am giving you few simple step just follw them may be you can sort out the problem.open the command prompt or CMD.
    and you can follow them easily.....

At the command prompt :

type: diskpart
    type: list disk
    type: select disk 0 (should be disk 0 if only 1 disk)
    type: list partition
    type: select partition 1 (should be partition 1 if only 1 operating system)
    type: active
    type: exit
    close the command windows  & restart .

For more info on bootmgr is missing

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:50 PM
  • before i tried this step, i was able to login my windows7 but cant able to restore factory my settings due to bootmgr missing, now i am unable to login my windows7 or command prompt tooo

sony vaio symbol will come....... then next immediately bootmgr missing press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart this messages comes.

please do the needful to get out from this situation

Monday, January 27, 2014 4:15 AM