PPS cannot pull KPI from sql 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Cube in SQL 2008 in a different box. The CUBE has the KPI defined. I have PPS in a different box. I am designing a scorecard and trying to pull the KPI from SSAS Server, I mean the CUBE.
    While doing so, I am getting a strange error message saying -
                  "An unknown error has occurred.  If the problem persists contact an administrator.  There may be additional information in the server event log."

When I browsed the event log I found the error -

Microsoft.AnalysisServices.ConnectionException: Cannot connect to Analysis Services version '10.0.1600.22'.

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Server.Connect(String connectionString, String sessionId)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Server.Connect(String connectionString)

at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.ImportExportHelper.GetImportableAsKpis(IBpm pmService, DataSource asDataSource)

at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.PmServer.GetImportableAsKpis(DataSource dataSource)

I am not able to resolve this. Did any one face such issue.

Please let me know.

Anirban Biswas (v-anbis@microsoft.com)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:38 AM

Answers

• Hello Anirban Biswas,

The error you are receiving can be caused when you do not have at least SQL 2005 Cumulative Update 9 components on the machine that you are trying to connect to SQL 2008 from.  For PerformancePoint Monitoring to work successfully with SQL 2008, you still need to have SQL 2005 components loaded on the workstation along with at least SP2 for PerformancePoint Server loaded.  With PPS Monitoring Server 2007, the communication between the client machines and the server is using the ADO Provider for SQL 2005, thus, even a clean machine with just SQL 2008 installed, will need the SQL Server 2005 CU9 redistributables so that the clients can effectively communicate with the server. The CU9 redistributables enable that communication link on the 2008 server. 

I would suggest applying CU9 for SQL 2005 on your client machine to connect to SQL 2008. You can have them download the files from this link:

<http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=953752&kbln=en-us>

There are 5 packages there, but they only need the 4. The other download ‘Yukon_SP2_CU9’ is actually the full CU9 package and isn’t needed.

Thanks,
    Heidi - MSFT

• Marked as answer by AseemN Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Anirban Biswas,

The error you are receiving can be caused when you do not have at least SQL 2005 Cumulative Update 9 components on the machine that you are trying to connect to SQL 2008 from.  For PerformancePoint Monitoring to work successfully with SQL 2008, you still need to have SQL 2005 components loaded on the workstation along with at least SP2 for PerformancePoint Server loaded.  With PPS Monitoring Server 2007, the communication between the client machines and the server is using the ADO Provider for SQL 2005, thus, even a clean machine with just SQL 2008 installed, will need the SQL Server 2005 CU9 redistributables so that the clients can effectively communicate with the server. The CU9 redistributables enable that communication link on the 2008 server. 

I would suggest applying CU9 for SQL 2005 on your client machine to connect to SQL 2008. You can have them download the files from this link:

<http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=953752&kbln=en-us>

There are 5 packages there, but they only need the 4. The other download ‘Yukon_SP2_CU9’ is actually the full CU9 package and isn’t needed.

Thanks,
    Heidi - MSFT

• Marked as answer by AseemN Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

I tried downloading and installing the hotfix but every hot fix threw an error saying that the present OS doesn't support that.

Just to update about the env......

SQL Server:
    OS - Windows 2008 Ent Edition
    SQL - SQL 2008 (this server contains the Cube. And it does not have SQL 2005 installed)

Workstation: From this system I am designing the Dashboard.
    OS - Windows Server 2003 Ent
    SQL - Sql 2005 installed
    PPS - Dashboard Designer Installed (in this box I have installed the Dashboard Designer) PPS is installed in different box.

PPS Server: In this box I am getting the Error in the event log.
    OS - Windows Server 2003 Ent Edition
    PPS - 2007

Now, I tried to install the hotfix in all the boxes but every time it gave error saying that "Installation of this product failed because it is not supported in this OS..... "

I changed my workstation to another box with same configuration but still no luck.

Anirban Biswas (v-anbis@microsoft.com)
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:57 AM
  • You need to make sure that you download the correct OS version of the components either x86 or x64 most likely and probably x64 on the servers I am assuming.

• SQLNCLI

• SQLServer2005_ADOMD

• SQLServer2005_ASOLEDB9

• SQLServer2005_XMO

These are required and I would recommend pulling them from the SQL Server 2005 December 2008 Feature Pack which came out with SP3 for SQL Server 2005 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=536FD7D5-013F-49BC-9FC7-77DEDE4BB075

For more information about the proper configuration and install refer to the BOL - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335966.aspx

• Dan English's BI Blog
Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:58 PM