wifi sharing of mamagement server's wifi adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have a question which is 'how do I share my internet connection on my hyper-v server to my VM's'.

My set up is Hyper-v is installed and running on my DELL laptop under windows 2008R2.  My VM's are running from my USB drive which is attached to my DELL laptop. 

So I've got hyper-v running on my DELL laptop and have created one VM running Windows 2008 with the roles DHCP & DNS. 

This VM has a staic IP address of 192.168.1.100 and I have created a DHCP scope of 192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.120 (Only a small scope for testing). 

Now leaving DNS and DHCP aside I would like to share my WiFi connection out on my DELL laptop which is acting as the Hyper-V management server.  The WiFi adpater on my DELL has an IP address of 192.168.1.4 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1 (I'm connected to my Linksys router wirelessly on my DELL).

I have created a Virutal Network within hyper-v management but cannot select the network adapter on my DELL and I'm not using it to connect to the internet, rather I'm connected to the internet on my DELL with the WiFi adpater.  Now the wifi adpater doesnt show in the drop down so I can not select it and check the External Connection & 'Allow management operating system to share to network adapter'. 

Any ideas how to use the WiFi adapter on the management server to grant internet access to my VM'S ?  I'm stumpped to say the least, I could get a long network cable I guess but would be better (and more fun) to use the wifi !!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:28 AM

All replies