none
Project 2010 - WBS numbering issues when copy and pasting Activities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anyone know why if I copy and paste the Tasks with WBS xxxx / 1 to 8 below they are pasted as **** / 9 to 16 ?

I am trying to keep the WBS referencing under the project code xxxx the same (i.e. from 1 to 8)

Many thanks and regards,

Mick

Bristol, England

Mick Delany

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:22 PM

All replies

• Just to add another screenshot to the above post to demonstrate the issue.

This shows clearly how the original 0000/ 1 to 8 WBS codes I set up are then copied, pasted and auto-renumbered to initially WBS 0001/ 9 to 16 and then when pasted again as WBS 0002/ 9 to 16 etc.

The WBS Code Definition I am using is just Numbers (Ordered).

I would like all WBS codes to follow the xxxx / 1 to 8 when copied and pasted but cannot figure this out.

Many thanks for any assistance with this,

Mick

Bristol, England

Mick Delany

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:16 PM
  • First, I would be very careful with using copy and paste.  YOu are actually copying over 500 hidden fields and history for each row.  This often causes problems, because actuals may be on the task.

I believe the WBS fields are being calculated and those give you the results that you are given.

Try creating a custom field to hold these values.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011, MCC2012
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:01 AM
  • Hey, Mick. Once you start messing with the WBS code number structure, Project applies some really simple rules when being asked to calculate the code for additional tasks. Basically, if in doubt, it will increase the number or letter for new tasks at a particular level. Try indenting and outdenting a summary task a couple of times and see what happens. If you really want the WBS codes to be intelligently calculated, either do it yourself and enter the values or stick with the default numbering scheme.

Graham

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:41 AM