none
NTP V4 - can I activate it on Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I´ve facing problems whith time sinc on a network with 3 stratum as below. Its a remote site without internet access:

- Stratum 1: GPS

- Stratum 2: Windows 7 with time sync service enabled (answers NTP V3, according to packet sniffing with wireshark)

- Stratum 3: Diferent windows and not windows devices (NTP V4, according o wireshark, including Windows 7 machines). Around 50 devices.

Some clocks are devianting some seconds or even minutes from the refence clock with one single sync from windows default setting (which I don´t know how to change). One option we are implementing is to schedule an bat script running "w32tm /resync" with some extra options avery hour (I intend to change it to every 5 min).

I´d be gratefull if someone tell me:

- Its possible to force Windows 7 to answer NTP V4? Or its necessary to install an dedicated software? In this case, which one?

- If its possible, how can I change Windows 7 config to check time server every 5 min without using a script?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, June 30, 2019 11:32 AM

All replies

• COMPLEMENTING

Some clocks are devianting some seconds or even minutes from the refence clock with one single sync PER DAY from windows default setting (which I don´t know how to change).

Sunday, June 30, 2019 11:33 AM
  • Hello,

--" Its possible to force Windows 7 to answer NTP V4? "

As far as I know, there is no corresponding setting on Windows to change this.

--" Or its necessary to install an dedicated software? In this case, which one? "

I don't know if there is such software, we don't provide third-party software.

--" If its possible, how can I change Windows 7 config to check time server every 5 min without using a script? "

You can change it via registry. You can refer to this article: How to Change the Time Synchronization Interval in Windows for detailed steps. It is not recommended to set the synchronization time too short, and the reason is given in the article.

Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Note: Please back up your registry before changing it.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 1, 2019 7:04 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

However the article says in no circunstances we should configure the poll interval less than 15 min. Why if its an light processing feature?

As mentioned above, I´d like to configure the poll interval to 5 min. I´m facing more than 1 sec deviation per hour in many machines, some cases 2,5sec per hour. If I configure each 15 mins, I will face almost 1 sec of deviation. I´d like to keep the deviation smaller then 1sec, as close as possble of 0,1 sec.

I´ve checked my time server and its responding very fast all NTP requests, and it has processing power enough to many more polls.

Best Regards

Targa

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:05 PM