Windows 2016 RDSH - Lockdown Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a new lockdown group policy that will be used for our future Windows 2016 XenApp servers.

As this will be used for a lot of users, certain things will need to be locked down.

For example the Settings need to be locked down in the same way as it possible with Control Panel.

My question, when will we be able to manage what settings is visible in Settings?

We cannot allow users on a shared RDSH server to install windows update, add VPN connection, check what application is installed etc etc.

With Control Panel it was possible to hide certain settings, with Settings its all or nothing.

Thanks 

viklund

Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Personally, I am not able to find a built-in method to achieve your goal, and I suggest you submit the requirement within Windows Server User Voice website below:

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 29, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Hi Amy

Thanks for your reply, I think its amazing that Microsoft have not consider locking down Settings menu, As Windows 10 are using the same Settings app, and in a Enterprise environment you need to lockdown certain settings.

If anyone reading this thread, please vote on the below link, if you like this issue solved.

UserVoice Page

Thanks

Viklund

• Edited by viklund Friday, July 29, 2016 9:09 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Granted this is an old question that you probably have the answer for now but I thought I would post to help any other users out that have the issue.

Even though the UserVoice page does not have a fix.  There is a fix now for users who still need to this

Create the following registry key per user to lockdown the settings menu to only show printers.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Polices\Explorer

SettingsPageVisibility  REG_SZ showonly:printers

Or whatever you want to display the names not listed after showonly will not be displayed.

• Edited by sivhead Friday, March 8, 2019 10:10 AM more detail
    • Proposed as answer by sivhead Friday, March 8, 2019 10:12 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2019 10:08 AM