Windows SteadyState Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 
    I have Windows SteadyState loaded on the public computers in the Library where I work (OS is Vista).  Recently, I received the following error on 3 machines:
    "Windows SteadyState Administrator Utility (GUI) has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
    I've tried uninstalling the application, removing it from the registry and reinstalling, but I still run into the same problem.
    Any ideas please?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:05 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the update. I suggest you reinstall Windows SteadyState by first remove it from Programs and features(disable restrictions and WDP before uninstalling). Then, check the steps below:

1. Disable restrictions and make sure Windows Disk Protection is turned off. Please also consider removing all restrictions as they will not be deleted during the un-installation.

a. Disable the restrictions in "Global Computer Settings", "Set Computer Restrictions".
    b. Turn off "Protect the Hard Disk".
    c. Unlock all users in "User Settings".
    d. Cancel all the restrictions in each user. 
    e. Restart the computer if you would like to apply the previous settings.

If WDP can be disabled, we can uninstall SteadyState from Add/Remove Programs, just like other programs.

However, if WDP cannot be disabled, please switch it to “Retain all changes permanently”. If it will restore to “Remove all changes at restart” automatically, let’s continue with the steps below:

2. Restart the computer to Safe mode to clear the cache file

a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.
    b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
    c. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.
    d. Delete the Cache.WDP file. Restart the computer.

3. Run SteadyState again, it will report the cache file is corrupted, choose the delete option and then restart the computer. After that, try to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. If still fails, continue with the following steps:

4. Remove SteadyState registry entries and files:

a. Click Start and then Run.
    b. Type in regedit and then click OK.
    c. Navigate and delete the following two branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit
                    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows SteadyState

d. Search and delete all Windows SteadyState related entries.
    e. Delete files under C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState

5.  Please restart the computer and check if it is removed successfully.

Then, let's reinstall it via the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D077A52D-93E9-4B02-BD95-9D770CCDB431&displaylang=en

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, December 18, 2009 1:12 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Leah Brindle, I suggest you perform a Clean Boot and check the result:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). Then, re-check Windows SteadyState related service.
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, re-check Windows SteadyState startup items.
    4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi Sean Zhu,

Thank  you for your reply. 

I tried following your instructions for the Clean Boot, but I still have the same error after restarting.  I can double click on the shortcut or start Windows SteadyState from Programs - the application comes up, but then the error appears after approx 10 seconds.

Leah
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, December 14, 2009 7:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, December 14, 2009 7:39 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Thanks for the update. I suggest you reinstall Windows SteadyState by first remove it from Programs and features(disable restrictions and WDP before uninstalling). Then, check the steps below:

1. Disable restrictions and make sure Windows Disk Protection is turned off. Please also consider removing all restrictions as they will not be deleted during the un-installation.

a. Disable the restrictions in "Global Computer Settings", "Set Computer Restrictions".
    b. Turn off "Protect the Hard Disk".
    c. Unlock all users in "User Settings".
    d. Cancel all the restrictions in each user. 
    e. Restart the computer if you would like to apply the previous settings.

If WDP can be disabled, we can uninstall SteadyState from Add/Remove Programs, just like other programs.

However, if WDP cannot be disabled, please switch it to “Retain all changes permanently”. If it will restore to “Remove all changes at restart” automatically, let’s continue with the steps below:

2. Restart the computer to Safe mode to clear the cache file

a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.
    b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
    c. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.
    d. Delete the Cache.WDP file. Restart the computer.

3. Run SteadyState again, it will report the cache file is corrupted, choose the delete option and then restart the computer. After that, try to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. If still fails, continue with the following steps:

4. Remove SteadyState registry entries and files:

a. Click Start and then Run.
    b. Type in regedit and then click OK.
    c. Navigate and delete the following two branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit
                    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows SteadyState

d. Search and delete all Windows SteadyState related entries.
    e. Delete files under C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState

5.  Please restart the computer and check if it is removed successfully.

Then, let's reinstall it via the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D077A52D-93E9-4B02-BD95-9D770CCDB431&displaylang=en

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, December 18, 2009 1:12 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:43 AM