Replaced laptop hard drive - can't load xp RRS feed

• Question

• Can't get windows xp to load on my replacement disk drive - it won't accept the activation code
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:05 AM

All replies

• whats the error ??

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:51 AM
  • It won't accept the key.  They key is the one on the Microsoft Windows tag on the bottom of my laptop.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:11 PM
  • okay here is the help link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I was apparently unclear.  During the loading of windows, when it asks me to name the computer and then asks for the key, that is when it says that my key is invalid - same computer, some Windows program, same code on the label on the bottom of the Lenova T400 laptop.  There are "33 minutes left" in the install process when this happens.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:02 PM
  • yes at the 33rd minute you need to enter the product key. The key would be actually verified once you login after the set up completes. Did you try calling microsoft and reported the issue ?
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:44 PM
  • It is the same key that is on the computer and won't take.  For XP, which I guess they no longer support, they charge like $50 for a phone call.  This old laptop just isn't worth it.  I think I'll just load Linux.  Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Why don't you go for windows XP service pack 3. The SP2 support is going to end very soon.

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:28 PM
  • So... I want back to the small computer store where I bought the laptop (many years ago) and they reloaded it for me for free.  You think I might buy my next computer there?
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:47 PM
  • yes you can buy a laptop loaded with windows 7. Try windows 7 once.
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 7:39 AM