STOP:0x0000007B - Vista Boot problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Last night I saw that Windows Update had updates to do. I saw 2 optional updates related to my Nvidia Raid/Sata controller. After the update I restarted, but got a BSOD STOP:0x0000007B. I tried Safe Mode / restore last good know configuration, tried repairing with Vista install cd, but nothing is working. I'm on my XP 64 partition now to try and find solutions to this problem, but I'm not getting anywhere fast.

The weird thing is is that I made a system restore point just before the update was done, but when I tried restoring it with the repair option off the install cd it said it can't find any restore points on my system OS drive.

Is there anything I can do to get vista to boot again? I really don't want to setup the OS again since it was running perfectly till this update caused a problem.

Your help and your time is much appreciated.

Oh btw, I'm running Vista Ultimate.

Cheers
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I'm in the exact same situation. But I have an ATI based controller. Shutdown my pc last night and this morning it doesn't boot with stop error 0x0000007B (not in safe mode/last known good configuration either).
    Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:56 PM
  • I think they switched off AHCI in a ATA Controller update

I have same problem, but I went in Bios and turned ACHI to ATA mode and system boots

Can't get ACHI Enabled again in OS

Friday, August 8, 2008 8:21 PM
  • I don't know what happen. but i started getting vista boot problem after an update. i disabled ahci, and now vista will boot up.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:32 AM
  • Same thing here I've been to 12 forums trying to solve this. I still have no clue what to do.

I Don't get an error message it just won't boot.I tried the neosmart ISO recovery disk that didn't work either.

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:39 PM
  • To all of you, you can't just disable or enable AHCI at will. If you installed Windows (any version not just Vista) with AHCI enabled then you can't disable it afterwards, vise-versa if you installed windows with AHCI disabled you can't enable it afterwards. The reason why is beyond the scope of this topic.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Hi All,
    Unfortunately, I now have the same problem after a Windows update to the SATA drivers on my Sapphire PC-A9RD480Adv on Monday 8th September. Been trying all week to access my Raid 0 set which consists of x2 150GB Seagate SATAII drives.
    Windows initially tries to boot but bins out with the STOP: 0x0000007B warning. I've tried safe mode, the same happens. I've tried a repair using the Vista DVD. It initially found a problem but failed to repair it and now when I try the repair option it just tells me to re-boot to finish the repair, which just results in the BSOD and error 7B. No restore points can be found which is odd as I'm 100% certain that there were numerous ones there along with the one created as part of that last update.

As a matter of interest I didn't change any settings in the bios before or after the update and can find no mention of AHCI in there to enable or disable.

Can anyone suggest a fix as all my photos, music etc are now inaccessible?

Please someone tell me I haven’t lost everything!!!!!

Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:51 PM
  • I never found a fix, though I formatted and did an install from scratch shortly after my initial reply; it solved the issue.

If its a software based raid then its easy, get another drive, install windows on it, boot off it and read your array. I question why you put sensitive data on a raid 0 array without backup to begin with.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:40 AM
  • I found this article that indicates maybe one can switch to AHCI by enabling the AHCI driver.  By using this technique and also uninstalling the RAID controller from device manager, I was able to boot Windows Vista from a drive that was cloned from a RAID-5 array.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Actually, I'll have to disagree with you. Not trying to bring life to an old post, but I have successfully switched from AHCI to ATA on the fly after an OS install. Typically speaking, you are correct but it's not set in stone. Just wanted to point that out.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:37 PM

• I heaved this problem after I uninstalled Acronis Partition Expert 2003. To solve it, I started my laptop from Hiren's BootCD and copied a backup of registry files (sam, security, software, system) from system32\config\RegBack to system32\config.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Thanxs PianoMan!! My problems with 0x0000007B BSOD started after I loaded defaults in BIOS because of other problems. After that I got the BSOD and computer reboot.  Went back in BIOS and put the SATA mode back to IDE and the computer booted just fine :-)
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Cathy, I have same problem with Vaio VGN FZ140E laptop. I get STOP:0x0000007B BSOD at Vista Home Premium boot up.

I have  tried chkdsk /r from cmd prompt in System Recovery Option,but  it did not find any error. I do not want to reinstall Vista , as getting sony drivers would need a lot of work. Do you know how change BIOS setting. Sony laptop won't let me chnage BIOS setup.Appreciate help from anyone.

Monday, March 22, 2010 8:41 AM
  • I think they switched off AHCI in a ATA Controller update

I have same problem, but I went in Bios and turned ACHI to ATA mode and system boots

Can't get ACHI Enabled again in OS

Hello, This metod work 100%

Change ACHI to ATA in a BIOS and the system bootup fine

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Same problem, since 6/9/2010.  Stop:  OxOOOOOO7B. 

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

"If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If it appears again,

follow these steps."  Restart your computer, and check for virusus.  Right!  What a bunch of horse hockey.

I presume this is the same exact message all have seen, with this same Stop error msg.  How in the name of God, can I get into my computer, I can't restart it, not safely.  I can't get into the safe mode,  or safe mode with networking.  So how can I run antivirus software?  It's impossible.  The computer does not recognize the disc to remove a virus, so how will it recognize a Windows Recovery Disc.  It won't! 

I'm at my wits end with this darned thing.  How in the name of all that's holy can I get into the darn thing?

Surely, there has to be some way?

Microsoft won't help with this. 

Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:41 AM
  • I had the same issue on a Dell D630 Windows Vista Business 32Bit. Setting the Bios back to defaults worked as-well. It seems an update casued the issue.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Hi All,
    Unfortunately, I now have the same problem after a Windows update to the SATA drivers on my Sapphire PC-A9RD480Adv on Monday 8th September. Been trying all week to access my Raid 0 set which consists of x2 150GB Seagate SATAII drives.
    Windows initially tries to boot but bins out with the STOP: 0x0000007B warning. I've tried safe mode, the same happens. I've tried a repair using the Vista DVD. It initially found a problem but failed to repair it and now when I try the repair option it just tells me to re-boot to finish the repair, which just results in the BSOD and error 7B. No restore points can be found which is odd as I'm 100% certain that there were numerous ones there along with the one created as part of that last update.

As a matter of interest I didn't change any settings in the bios before or after the update and can find no mention of AHCI in there to enable or disable.

Can anyone suggest a fix as all my photos, music etc are now inaccessible?

Please someone tell me I haven’t lost everything!!!!!

Take out the hard drive holding your data and install it into a USB enclsoure, plug the USB into another machine and make sure you can acess your data.

Buy new hard drive install into your computer, re-install windows, plug USB drive into computer and copy data back. And you now also have a drive you can back your data up too. ;)

• Proposed as answer by ChemBot Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:59 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:58 PM
  • I have the same problem.  And I am using a RAID 0 set.  A single drive is not usable for recovery.  The data is split.  Regarding AHCI vs IDE;  In my BIOS the RAID and AHCI are selected as a single parameter.  My concern is that trying this will destroy the RAID array and all my data and installed programs.  Which I am trying real hard to avoid.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:10 PM
  • the AHCI is also called SATA Native Support in some BIOS......if you adjust that to Disabled it will work the same as turning off AHCI.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:29 PM
  • have you seen this new easy solution? 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:56 PM
  • For about 3 months now I've had a machine in the workshop that suffered this fault (7B boot) and it refused to be fixed no matter what I did.  It happened after a software update and reboot.

Anyhow, I was using PCRegEdit (Linux boot with registry editor) and I noticed that the System registry had no valid entries in the services section, but I -also- noticed there was "system_previous" on the file system, so I took a gamble and copied system_previous to "system" and rebooted.... IT WORKS!!!

So, for all of you out there who've had no success with this problem, even when you change the AHCI / ATA settings in BIOS or even the registry, try copying the system_previous file to system and see if that brings it up.  I did this using a Linux rescue CD / USB-stick;

(this assumes that sda1 contains your windows partition)

mkdir win
    mount /dev/sda1 win cd win/Windows/System32/config cp system system-safe cp system_previous system cd reboot

• Edited by MrPLD Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by MrPLD Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Thanks @MrPLD ! This solution worked great!

Tip: After successful boot, I was welcomed with my familiar login screen, but the mouse and keyboard stopped working! Had to use external input devices, logged in, checked the devices admin page and both (and just those) couldn't be started. What a pain! Turns out, after clearing the Avast antivirus from safe mode, both worked again on next boot.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:22 PM