SCCM Client Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Client installations was pushed for all site devices.

I've checked on workstations, the client has been installed and service is running

though on SCCM management console it say "No" under client status.

Every nessecery configuration is applied to enable communications between server and endpoints.

Any idea ?

Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:55 AM

Answers

• A quick clarification here, a "no" under Client in the console does *not* mean that the client is installed or not, it means the site has never had communication from the device. That sounds like a semantic difference, but it truly is a large difference. Thus, once you've verified that the client installation happened successfully on the target system, you need to move on to troubleshooting why it's not communicating.

ccm.log and ccmsetup.log show installation activities so have nothing to do with the client agent communicating to the site. For this, you need to examine clientidstartupmanager.log, clientlocation.log, and locationservices.log.

Another thing to point out is that the site never *retrieves* data from a client agent. All client communication in ConfigMgr is client initiated. Once again, this sounds like semantics, but it has major implications particularly when troubleshooting issues.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:47 PM

All replies

• Is the MP working at all? Any error on the Monitoring node / site status?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:14 AM
  • Is the MP working at all? Any error on the Monitoring node / site status?

Torsten Meringer | 

MP is up and running. No erros related to this issue on any of the above.

It can see i have client installed on about 80% of devices.

There's another 10% of devices I confirmed client is installed but MP report as not installed.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:12 AM
  • Hi Roy,

For the machines that have the client installed but not showing installed in the ConfigMgr console then check these logs on the client:

ClientIDManagerStartup.log

Clientlocation.log

LocaionServices.log

Check the DNS on these clients, ping and ping -a match etc.

If there are machines that have failed to install the client from the client push on the server then also check ccm.log on the server.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:33 AM
  • Hi Roy,

For the machines that have the client installed but not showing installed in the ConfigMgr console then check these logs on the client:

ClientIDManagerStartup.log

Clientlocation.log

LocaionServices.log

Check the DNS on these clients, ping and ping -a match etc.

If there are machines that have failed to install the client from the client push on the server then also check ccm.log on the server.

I will check the logs on the devices and update..

In addition i forgot to mention that my own workstation was on "Yes" status for installed client yesterday

and today is on "No" status and now don't have the logs mentiond above.

I can still get access to the server trough my computer, and ran the client installation manually, but, still shown as not installed.

Furthermore,  I have checked the ccm.log before in order to troubleshoot failed installation on workstation, got 

no errors and client was installed, but, again the console menegment shows client is not installed on workstation.

Edit:

Now a hour later the console menegmante say I have the client installed on my workstation.

therefore nothing blocks it from retreving data from workstation, but, still it gives false reports

for client installation status.

Any idea?

• Edited by Roy Azami Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:49 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 11:43 AM
  • A quick clarification here, a "no" under Client in the console does *not* mean that the client is installed or not, it means the site has never had communication from the device. That sounds like a semantic difference, but it truly is a large difference. Thus, once you've verified that the client installation happened successfully on the target system, you need to move on to troubleshooting why it's not communicating.

ccm.log and ccmsetup.log show installation activities so have nothing to do with the client agent communicating to the site. For this, you need to examine clientidstartupmanager.log, clientlocation.log, and locationservices.log.

Another thing to point out is that the site never *retrieves* data from a client agent. All client communication in ConfigMgr is client initiated. Once again, this sounds like semantics, but it has major implications particularly when troubleshooting issues.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:47 PM
  • The clarification about "no" under Client has helped me to understand why it is changing.

Though, when trying to examine the logs you specified I have encountered another isuue.

None of the logs above appear on clients.

Therefore, It is a major problem to troubleshoot the communication issue.

Thanks for the information and help.

Sunday, April 12, 2015 5:36 AM
  • Those logs --  clientidstartupmanager.log, clientlocation.log, and locationservices.log -- always appear under c:\windows\ccm\logs on the client if the client installation was successful and the smsexec service is started successfully (which I think must happen for the client install to complete successfully).

Sunday, April 12, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Logs shows everything is working the right way.

Tough, found missplaced workstaions in AD setup. (GPO did not apply on them).

Fixed the issue, hopefuly it will fix the communication issue.

Thanks for the help.

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:34 PM