I hate windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• When will you come out with a  fix for windows 8 that makes it work like 7.  Windows 8 is so frustrating and difficult to use.  I won't get use to it, because it does not  function well. 
    • Moved by David Wolters Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:50 PM Moving to a more appropriate forum
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:34 PM

Answers

• MS will release a large Update later this year (Windows 8.1 codename Blue):

Windows Blue is a codename for an update that will be available later this year, building on the bold vision set forward with Windows 8 to deliver the next generation of tablets and PCs. It will deliver the latest new innovations across an increasingly broad array of form factors of all sizes, display, battery life and performance, while creating new opportunities for our ecosystem. It will provide more options for businesses, and give consumers more options for work and play. The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/06/windows-8-at-6-months-q-amp-a-with-tami-reller.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 20, 2013 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:50 PM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:13 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• MS will release a large Update later this year (Windows 8.1 codename Blue):

Windows Blue is a codename for an update that will be available later this year, building on the bold vision set forward with Windows 8 to deliver the next generation of tablets and PCs. It will deliver the latest new innovations across an increasingly broad array of form factors of all sizes, display, battery life and performance, while creating new opportunities for our ecosystem. It will provide more options for businesses, and give consumers more options for work and play. The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/06/windows-8-at-6-months-q-amp-a-with-tami-reller.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 20, 2013 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:50 PM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Did someone purposely take stupid pills and unnecessarily complicate windows so that trying to stay in the desktop is impossible? I hate windows 8 and find it so frustrating and messing up simple documents and scans that I honestly have contemplated throwing my computer out the window. Can anyone explain why you want everyone to think they are on a tablet computer? If I wanted to work on my tablet I would. Why is it so much harder to use a computer now than it was even in the 90's? I hate hate hate all the new windows and how it tries to organize everything so that you can never find it again and when you do it will always be the wrong file. 
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Now that "Blue" (8.1) has been released we see it's really no better at powering a serious computing environment than Windows 8.  Microsoft included a "Start" icon, called it a button, wished it would placate all those missing the Start Menu, and failed to do anything good.

That said, my desktop-centric Windows 8.1 setup boots to and stays on the desktop.  The only (and I do mean only) time I've seen the Metro/Modern Start screen is when I went over there to turn everything off, so nothing would be trying to take resources from the real work occurring on the desktop.

I've even got Aero Glass back, and that makes me very happy indeed.

But I agree with you - it takes unprecedented effort and many 3rd party programs to make Windows 8.1 as usable as a well-configured Windows 7 system was - and let's not forget some things about Windows 7 were harder to use than those of its predecessors.

It's pretty clear Microsoft is looking to power toys first and foremost.  I think we can assume they want some of the hardware business Apple is getting, because they've seen how insanely much money Apple is making selling toys.

That said, I've often wondered why Microsoft is being managed as though it's a simple company that can't do more than one thing (as in make an OS for tablets AND one for serious computers).  It seems to me to imply some simple-mindedness in those who have turned the ship off the course Microsoft has always been so good at following, and apparently toward the rocks.

The question is, do they have the talent to recover, or have we already seen the golden days of Windows come and go?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:56 AM
  • I believe it is not the skill required to recover, but the common sense required to see that they are going to ultimately lose customers. All the people I know who use Windows 8, including those who are not in any way "tech savvy" are complaining about it in one way or another.

Brace yourself for this: I would rather use iOS than put up with Metro. I detest Apple products (except the iPod Classic, but even then I use Rockbox).

I hope they take a serious financial blow to the face. Maybe then they will start listening to us.

For now, I'm sticking with Arch Linux and Windows 7.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:56 PM