none
Date Variables for naming tapes RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any date variables I can use for the Tape Lable in DPM 2010?  It would be a lot easier to manage.
    David Fletcher
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:48 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

sorry, no, there are no variables to control tape naming.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Ruud Baars [MSFT] Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by boniface50 Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

sorry, no, there are no variables to control tape naming.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Ruud Baars [MSFT] Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by boniface50 Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Dang.

Thanks for the answer.  It isn't what I wanted to hear though.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how to manage a large amount of tapes.   Maybe someone that makes decisions will hear my plea.

Every backup system I have ever used has given me the flexibility to name the tape that included the date and job name.  When you have weeks, months and years worth of tapes, it makes it easier to find things if you can include the date in the mix.

David Fletcher
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:15 PM
  • We found we HAD to use barcodes to get any decent organisational structure for our tapes. We pretty much ignore the names given by DPM and just use barcodes.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:45 PM