Castlewood ORB drive on Server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 2003 32 bit and Windows 2008 64 bit on one dual boot machine which has a Castlewood ORB removable drive in it (IDE version). In W2003 it works perfectly. In W2008 it shows up fine in device manager, but if I try to access it I get a "device not connected" error.  Any idea why?
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:08 AM

Answers

• hi there,

windows 2008 device manager is no different from windows 2003 , so i would say if its getting registered in the windows 2008 device manager and if the appropriate .inf file and sys file is getting registered then i would say that your drive should be working okay ( atleast basic functionality )

There are 2 important points here to understand , you driver will get registered based on the sys file which company provide and if also the coressponding ENUM values will get registered, under HKLM.

If you still have the problem, i would recommend you to check for the latest updates for the removable drive. Please do scna the system for aV.

Questions
    ========
    a) please do check the behavior with safe mode with networking.

b) please do check with other removable drive ( IDE ) if they are functioning

c) can you confirm if the dirvers are supportable on windows 2008 ?

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hi ratmedic,

I agree with what sainath said.

Windows Server 2008 is the new generation of Operating Systems in the Windows family. We design Windows Server 2008 in compliance with the industrial standard. We try to do our best to make our OS work properly with most third-party products.

However, please understand that the device drivers, even those shipped in the operating system (OS), are provided by the hardware manufacturers. When a new operating system is released, usually third-party vendors or manufacturers will update their products to take full advantage of new features in the latest OS. If the driver is not compatible with the system, the device may not work properly or other unknown problems may occur in the system.

In this case, we would like to suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the third party product to see if there is a update driver which supports on Windows Server 2008.

Hopefully Castlewood System can have the update the device driver to make it compatible with Windows Server 2008.

Thanks for the understanding.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:45 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:40 AM

All replies

• hi there,

windows 2008 device manager is no different from windows 2003 , so i would say if its getting registered in the windows 2008 device manager and if the appropriate .inf file and sys file is getting registered then i would say that your drive should be working okay ( atleast basic functionality )

There are 2 important points here to understand , you driver will get registered based on the sys file which company provide and if also the coressponding ENUM values will get registered, under HKLM.

If you still have the problem, i would recommend you to check for the latest updates for the removable drive. Please do scna the system for aV.

Questions
    ========
    a) please do check the behavior with safe mode with networking.

b) please do check with other removable drive ( IDE ) if they are functioning

c) can you confirm if the dirvers are supportable on windows 2008 ?

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hi ratmedic,

I agree with what sainath said.

Windows Server 2008 is the new generation of Operating Systems in the Windows family. We design Windows Server 2008 in compliance with the industrial standard. We try to do our best to make our OS work properly with most third-party products.

However, please understand that the device drivers, even those shipped in the operating system (OS), are provided by the hardware manufacturers. When a new operating system is released, usually third-party vendors or manufacturers will update their products to take full advantage of new features in the latest OS. If the driver is not compatible with the system, the device may not work properly or other unknown problems may occur in the system.

In this case, we would like to suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the third party product to see if there is a update driver which supports on Windows Server 2008.

Hopefully Castlewood System can have the update the device driver to make it compatible with Windows Server 2008.

Thanks for the understanding.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:45 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:40 AM