App-V 5.0 SP2 HF4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using App-V 5.0 SP2 HF4.  I thought that HF4 was supposed to "open up" security from within an App-V bubble but I am still getting messages stating that my user is missing rights Inside the bubble.

Is there a simple way to validate that the user has all right Inside a bubble and that HF4 is indeed applied properly?

As a complement, is there a page that explains thoroughly how to use and configure properly an App-V 5.0 SP2 HF4 bubble?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:57 PM

Answers

• Even with that box checked, you can only write to folders that already exist in the VFS; otherwise writes will be redirected to the local file system where usual rights apply. Also, you cannot write to a large list of file types such as .exe and .dll. So it depends where and what you are trying to write.

To verify, use PowerShell's Start-AppvVirtualProcess cmdlet to open a cmd prompt in the bubble, and try to copy or write to a file in the VFS folders.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 10:14 AM

All replies

• Did Select in the sequencer on the Advanced tab to "Allow virtual applications full write permissions to the virtual file system"?
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I checked that box.   However, that doesn't seem to change anything.   What I am looking for is a way to validate that once I install a bubble with the "Allow virtual applications full write permissions to the virtual file system", the bubble is then open for write access.

I have installed both the HF4 on the sequencer as well as on the client side.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:49 PM
  • The only way to validate is to go into the bubble, and try writing to areas you wouldn't normally have access to.  The permissions on the C:\ProgramData folders and the per user COW folders won't simply show everyone write for example.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Even with that box checked, you can only write to folders that already exist in the VFS; otherwise writes will be redirected to the local file system where usual rights apply. Also, you cannot write to a large list of file types such as .exe and .dll. So it depends where and what you are trying to write.

To verify, use PowerShell's Start-AppvVirtualProcess cmdlet to open a cmd prompt in the bubble, and try to copy or write to a file in the VFS folders.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 10:14 AM