none
Ms Project Help RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing to get an advise on a problem I am trying to resolve on MS Project. I have already a schedule done without any resource allocation with standard project calendar  .   if I add more holidays  on the calendar, the project duration will change and  finish date will be extended for the tasks those are impacted with the new added holydays. But I like to keep start and finish dates unchanged for all the tasks though I am adding new holydays onto the calendar. Is there any way to auto adjust the duration without changing the start and finish  dates of tall  tasks  
    Monday, July 3, 2017 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you set that a task should last 10 days, then enter a vacation day in the calendar, MS Project will extend the task of 1 day, there is no way (as far as I know) to prevent this. You have a certain duration, thus removing 1 day of the working week must have an impact.

You could always set a constraint on the finish date, but MS Project will make the task starts one day before.

You could always save a baseline so you can see the impact of entering holidays and thus adjust your schedule accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 10:13 AM
  • Thanks Guillaume, Appreciate your reply

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 12:52 AM
  • Consider this experience as lessons learned about calendars and holidays.  Plan calendar out for 5 years, to avoid this in the future.

After updating calendar with holiday, then adjust schedule as required.  Keep in mind that the schedule is just a plan and best estimate and is going to be changing over the lifetime of the project.  The holiday adjustment is just one of the many adjustments of its life cycle.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Hi Npaves,

Although I agree with the others that calendar changes will change the duration of tasks when the calendar applies to the project. However I do have 2 suggestions that you might like to look into:

- You mention that you haven't set any resource allocations yet. What if you create 2 project calendars. 1 without the holidays and one with the holidays. If you create resources, put the holiday calendar on them. And leave the "standard" calendar on the tasks. This will ensure that tasks without resources aren't effected with the holidays "non working time". There is an added bonus, you can "ignore resource calendars" this is a checkbox in the task menu.

- There is another solution for the day's not changing called "elapsed days". Rather than setting a day to be 1d you should use 1ed. keep in mind that these elapsed days will also see Saturday and Sunday as a working day now. I would go for the first option.

That being said, it's a good feature that Project tells you that you are not able to reach a deadline because of non working time. That way you are not overworking your resources ;-)

Kind regards, and please let us know if either of the solutions solves your issue.

Erik 

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:47 AM