Windows Explorer issue RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

We are having issues with our Dell Precision M6400 NOtebook. 
    Since 2 weeks this machine needs to reboot 4-5 times a day because the Explorer keeps crashing.
    Most often it crashes when pressing Ctrl + C on a file (any file) or clicking right mouse button. Note it does not always happen. It can go good for 9/10 times. 
    when it crashes there is no way to fix it. I cant kill the process, no error, just no respond. for some reason the Taskbar still works and i can still start Programs from the StartMenu, but i can do anything with files. 

as i said, we need to do a hard shutdown to recover from this, shutdown from windows will hang to, so we need to do a hard shutdown. 

Here is what i tried:
    Cleanboot, still having crashes
    Virus Scan, Malware scan (clean)
    checkdisk
    using process manager to kill the process, no luck here.
    using system restore to restore to a point where we didnt have this issue
    updated the Laptops BIOS.

this is the system:
    Vista Business x64 SP2 (with Latest updates)
    Dell Precision M6400 Notebook
    NVIDIA Quadro FX3700
    2x 250GB Raid 0
    8GB RAM
    (need more?)

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for testing. It costs us alot of time.

Friday, November 27, 2009 10:40 AM

All replies

• The problem may be caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Once you’ve unzipped it, go to the unzipped folder and double-click shexview.exe to run the program. Now click on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. Let us assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide and concentrate on the others. Is there anything else listed that is either unnecessary or suspicious? If so, highlight it and click the red spot (top left) to disable it. If it‘s easier, disable them all, re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and try Explorer until the culprit is found.

Friday, November 27, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

Nsijtsma, I am just checking to see how things are going there on this issue with the suggestions BurrWalnut provided. If you would like further investigations, please do not hesitate to let us know.

If the issue persists, please also go to the Event Viewer and see if there are any related errors in the logs and let us know.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:34 AM
  • thank you for your replies, i will check the tool and see if anything helps.

Monday, November 30, 2009 12:59 PM
  • 2bad, it didnt fix anything. 

we are now reinstalling the machine with Windows 7, hope the problem doesnt show up here...
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I know that you were reinstalling Windows 7. Please also monitor the issue and keep us updated, if there is any update, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 4, 2009 9:11 AM