none
Machines not running logon scripts after update to Windows 10 1903 + current updates RRS feed

• Question

• We've been encountering a number of machines that after updating to Windows 10 1903 and installing all current updates the machines no longer are running their logon script when logging into the network. It's a variety of machine makes and models with different wired and wireless networking chipsets that are affected, so I don't believe it's strictly a driver issue (drivers have been updated).

We have a Windows 2012 R2 Active Directory domain. Logon scripts are .bat files defined in the user object and are located in the standard \\domain.local\netlogon share. User objects also have a home directory mapping defined in the user object (drive H:).

On affected machines the user's logon script doesn't run, but their H: drive gets mapped normally (indicating that during the logon process their user object was accessed). In previous versions of Windows I've seen this happen when the user logged in before the networking had fully initialized, and just having them log off and back on (not rebooting) would remedy it. This isn't doing the trick here, though. I'm going to take an affected machine and set the GPO object to always wait for network before logon just to take a stab at it, but I'm not optimistic.

Has anyone seen anything regarding an issue with logon scripts running in a recent Windows update? I'm looking around and not finding anything specifically about this issue. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting here.

Based on my knowledge, I would suggest that you can try to run your logon scripts in powershell on Windows 10 1903 manually to see if it is successful.

Appreciate your cooperation.

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regards,

Abby

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:05 AM
  • 

I've not tried running it in powershell, but running it from the command prompt (just manually running the .bat file) works fine. I'll try doing it from powershell instead to see if there's any difference.

We've been having this happen on a LOT of machines since posting this, and all since the 1903 update. Many machines have been updating recently as they had delayed feature releases for 6 months.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:30 PM