none
inconsistancy mailboxstatistics and actual in-place archive

Question

• Hello,

We use Exchange 2013 with In-Place archive. Some users don't have a complete folder structure in the Online Archive/I-Place archive. Ex. Inbox In and Deleted Items not available.

When the command

get-mailboxstatistics username -archive | Select TotalItemSize

is executed the size is 7.6 Gb.

In exchange manager the details of the In-place archive is also 7.6 Gb.

When opening the archive folder in outlook (2016) the complete folderstructure is 20Mb.

When I choose to move the archive mailbox to an other database in exchange the copied data is 7.6 Gb. 

So: It looks like the folders are there but somehow hidden. 

New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox username -archive -CorruptionType SearchFolder,AggregateCounts,ProvisionedFolder,FolderView

also does n't fix the problem.

Anyone a suggestion what to do next?

Workaround is to import a backup pst to the activ mailbox and the ManagedFolderAssistan wil move the items older than 2 years to the archive.

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:00 PM

All replies

• Have you tried "Get-Mailbox <mailbox alias> | Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Archive | Ft Name, Items*Fold*, FolderSize" to find your data?

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:31 PM
  • The results of

Get-Mailbox <mailbox alias> | Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Archive | Ft Name, Items*Fold*, FolderSize

are as state below. So which is the real info? Have I a 7.6 Gb mailbox in exchange which only contains 20Mb or iare not all folder displayed in outlook or mailboxfolderstatistics?

Name                                          ItemsInFolder    ItemsInFolderAndSubfolders FolderSize
    ----                                          -------------    -------------------------- ----------
    Conversation Action Settings                              0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    Foldername                                                0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    Logbook                                                   0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    RSS-feeds                                                 0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    Deleted items                                            38                           114 17.61 MB (18,468,907 bytes)
    Foldername1                                               0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    Foldername2                                               67                            67 1.818 MB (1,905,802 bytes)
    Foldername3                                                9                             9 468.4 KB (479,648 bytes)
    Working Set                                               0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    Recoverable Items                                         0                            24 0 B (0 bytes)
    Calendar Logging                                          0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    Deletions                                                24                            24 8.812 MB (9,239,755 bytes)
    Purges                                                    0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)
    Versions                                                  0                             0 0 B (0 bytes)

• Edited by thuurke76 Friday, March 10, 2017 2:45 PM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 2:42 PM
  • Along with what we see here, there are other items in the mailbox that do not appear in any folders.  These are views, rules, and other hidden things that are normally small.  However, they can grow, and I've heard times where they can be sizeable.  You might consider moving all the data (yes, all 20 MB!!) back into the primary mailbox and removing this archive.  Then, once the archive is no longer on the mailbox and isn't displayed in Outlook, add a new archive mailbox back to the account.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:07 PM
  • The problem is that the user should have about 14 Gb of e-mail. About 7 Gb in the "active" mailbox and 7.6 Gb in the archive. So outlook/ owa only shows 20 Mb instead of the 7.6 Gb I think is in the mailbox. I have moved the archive mailbox to a seperate database and disconnected this database. Using eseutil I have defragged this database and mounted it again (still 7.6 Gb). Also made a copy.

I used a 3rd party edb viewer (Kernel Exchange EDB viewer) top open the edb copy and the archive mailbox of the user contains hundreds of mails, as it should.  Using Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange gives the same results as looking in outlook.

Also did a export to pst from the actual archive (new-mailboxexportrequest -isarchive) and this file is only 30Mb. 

I'm a little clueless :)

• Edited by thuurke76 Monday, March 13, 2017 8:56 AM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

Does this issue affect all of the users? Or just specific user?

How about export the primary mailbox with the following command?

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox test1 -FilePath "\\SERVER01\PSTFileShare\test1_Recovered.pst"

And the command: New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox test2 -FilePath "\\SERVER01\PSTFileShare\test2_Archive.pst" -IsArchive for other mailboxes.

Thanks for your effort.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:26 AM