Windows Server 2016 TP5: Wireless Driver RRS feed

• Question

• The Wireless Driver for Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 worked in TP4, but doesn't want to install on TP5.

Steps done to solve the Problem that didnt help:

* Reinstallation of Wireless-Networking (Wireless LAN Service)

* Tried to use other drivers

Is there a workaround to solve the problem?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:38 AM

Answers

• The Wireless Driver for Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 worked in TP4, but doesn't want to install on TP5.

To resolve this issue follow the steps below:

Open the Device Manager and check if the wireless adapter is with the latest version of driver installed.

Open Server Manager, and then verify that the wireless LAN feature was installed, if not, install the automatic restart option.

After the system restart, open the Services Panel, or run services.msc find the WLAN AutoConfig service, click Properties, select the startup type to automatic, click Start service, close, restart the server and ready, now all wireless adapters will function correctly.

I am using two Wireless adapters from the MB ASUS P5W BIOS DH Deluxe (Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11 g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter) and one external usb (Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11 n USB 2.0 Network Adapter) and both are working normally.

I hope I helped.

A Hug,

Marcelo.

PS: My system is 14300.1000.160324-1723.RS1_RELEASE_SVC_SERVER_OEMRET_X64FRE_PT-BR

Friday, July 1, 2016 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

The window server 2016 TP5 is a new operating system for window server.

Drivers come from the NIC vendors, or from the OEM using the NIC. If you want this NIC to be supported on Windows Server 2016 you will need to contact Intel.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:49 AM
  • The problem is nothing to do with an unsupported driver.  The issue is due to the WLANSVC service not being installed correctly on TP5.  See the other threads in this forum.
    Friday, April 29, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Very decieving since it was working on tp4. Same problem here.
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 7:24 PM
  • Hi,

I did some research and found several similar cases. This seems to be a widespread issue and currently no official announcement has been released and workaround has been found to deal with this issue. I will watching closely to this issue, if there is any update, I will let you know immediately.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Alvwan Monday, May 2, 2016 5:25 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2016 5:23 AM
  • Hi folks, thank you for reporting this. We are actively investigating and will get back to everyone.

Thank you,

Ravi

• Proposed as answer by PhoenixUA Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:27 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Hi folks, thank you for reporting this. We are actively investigating and will get back to everyone.

Thank you,

Ravi

No disrespect... but how the hell does a bug that affects such a wide swath of devices not get seen or be met with a "we're investigating" response. It isn't a new regression. It existed in multiple builds that leaked in between TP4 and TP5.

It raises huge alarm bells. Either you aren't doing the same level of automated hardware testing that existed in the previous release processes, or you are and failing to be transparent about intentions with respect to how all this new networking stuff ties into wireless.

Come on... Either way, you're better than this.

This matters deeply to many of us who do development for products like SharePoint or operate as bleeding edge power-users with laptops.

My nickels worth.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 4:40 AM
  • Can someone give me a link for Windows Server 2016 TP4 ? i want to downgrade to tp4 version since TP5 got this problem, please include the activation key too.

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

I am afraid to tell that since TP5 is released and there’s no opportunity to get Windows Server TP4 from Microsoft’s web-site.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

• Proposed as answer by terminator0720 Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:12 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:54 AM
  • http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/C/2/5/C257AD1A-45C1-48F9-B31C-5D37D6463123/10586.0.151029-1700.TH2_RELEASE_SERVER_OEMRET_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO
    • Proposed as answer by Alvwan Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:08 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Paul - you are right that we should have caught this. Please note that this has nothing to do with the new SDN stack or the like. As you point out, there was a bug on this, but the fix  missed its way to the TP5 mainline.

We are going to service this for sure. Either I or someone on the wireless team will let everyone know once a fix is available.

Thank you,

Ravi

Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Paul - you are right that we should have caught this.

That's a huge thing to just come right out and say. Thank you.

Bugs happen. No big deal. I'm just kind of annoyed that I can't run TP5 on my laptop.

Friday, May 13, 2016 12:25 AM
  • May 24, 2016 ..... almost a month afer the release... stilll.... nothing?!!
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:59 PM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3163016..
    Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5: June 14, 2016
    Known issues in this update
    •Issue 1
    Administrators receive the following error message when they try to uninstall KB 3163016 if the Wireless LAN Service is disabled:
    An error has occurred. Not all the updates were successfully uninstalled.
    To fix this issue, enable the Wireless LAN Service. For more information, follow the instructions in the Wireless LAN Service Overview.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:08 PM

To resolve this issue follow the steps below:

Open the Device Manager and check if the wireless adapter is with the latest version of driver installed.

Open Server Manager, and then verify that the wireless LAN feature was installed, if not, install the automatic restart option.

After the system restart, open the Services Panel, or run services.msc find the WLAN AutoConfig service, click Properties, select the startup type to automatic, click Start service, close, restart the server and ready, now all wireless adapters will function correctly.

I am using two Wireless adapters from the MB ASUS P5W BIOS DH Deluxe (Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11 g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter) and one external usb (Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11 n USB 2.0 Network Adapter) and both are working normally.

I hope I helped.

A Hug,

Marcelo.

PS: My system is 14300.1000.160324-1723.RS1_RELEASE_SVC_SERVER_OEMRET_X64FRE_PT-BR

Friday, July 1, 2016 7:46 PM
  • Thanks for the help. 

Had tried everything, then a colleague said to take a look at this and I followed your instructions to the letter and everything worked perfectly. 

Thanks again for your help, you saved my day mate!

Monday, July 4, 2016 7:10 PM
  • I have a similar issue. After following all the steps, the network icon on the taskbar still appears red and I can not connect to wifi, altough the wifi networks appear. I can connect only using ethernet.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:06 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue, but the adapter disappeared after installing the Windows 10 driver. The card is an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235. The device doesn't appear in device managed at all. The WLAN service has been installed and started, but the hardware doesn't appear. When rebooting into Windows 10 the Wi-Fi is fine, so I've ruled out the hardware switch.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Still there myself no ethernet either, tried new intel ethernet fix but nothing , might go back too win8.1 for no keyboard but then thats spilling too much beanz meanz spys
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:53 AM
  • Thank you, it worked for me.<style></style>
    Saturday, April 21, 2018 10:52 AM