Windows 10 v1809 - Domain-joined machines with updates managed by WSUS cannot download/install optional features RRS feed

• Question

• I work for the IT dept in a K-12 public school district.  Recently, after testing Win10 v1809 on a small test group of computers, we pushed it out to a wider group of machines, including some of our own IT dept workstations.  When we did this, we discovered that v1809 uninstalls the remote tools for Active Directory management.  This might not have been a big deal -- except, we then discovered that the Remote Server Admin Tools can no longer be downloaded; rather, they must be installed via the Windows "Manage Optional Features" app.  The problem is, although we do see all the RSAT features available for install within the app, none of them successfully install.  They all fail.  Initially, the error given was, "Contact your administrator to get this feature."

Our computers are domain-joined, and updates are managed by WSUS, which has been working successfully.  I checked WSUS to see if there was anything obvious I needed to approve, and could find nothing which seemed to be related to these optional features.  I checked to see if we might have overlooked synchronizing a product or classification which is necessary in order to install the "optional features."  In the "Products and Classifications" dialog, under the Products tab, I found (and selected) "Windows 10 Feature On Demand", and under the Classifications tab, I found (and selected) "Feature Packs" (although I'm not entirely sure it's related to the RSAT tools).  After selecting these two new items, I kicked-off a synchronization and let it complete.  Afterwards, however, I still couldn't find any updates which looked in any way related to the RSAT tools, or to any optional features whatsoever.

So I started looking at Group Policy.  Did some research, and found a key which perhaps needs to be enabled in order to allow workstations managed by WSUS to download optional features from MS Update in the event that the requested features aren't available from WSUS.  I enabled that key.  That key was located here:

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System> "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair"> I enabled the policy and selected, "Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of WSUS."

I did a gpupdate /force on one of the affected clients, rebooted it, and then tried installing the RSAT for Active Directory again -- this time, after trying to install for over an hour, it finally "failed" with an error-code of "0x800f0841."

At this point I'm out of ideas.  Am I going about this the right way?  Microsoft?  Anyone?

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:07 PM