Windows 7 Task Manager stops responding RRS feed

• Question

• Occasionally, when I go to switch screens my hidden task bar will not appear.  Using Ctl-Alt-Del produces nothing.  The task in the current screen continues to operate correctly.  I can switch to windows that are partially visible by clicking on the visible portion. I can minimize windows but, of course, without the task bar I can't get them back.  If I try to close a window it stops responding and I get the spinning circle and I can not minimize that window.  I have left the computer in this state for 9 hours (overnight) without a change in the situation. I have current versions of Norton 360 and MalwareBytes with updated databases in both.  Scans with both show no viruses nor trojans nor malware.  I have now downloaded and installed Process Explorer and keep it running to see if anything else can kill processes that way or perhaps restart explorer. The following is my system configuration: 

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1

Hewlett-Packard HP G72 Notebook PC

Rating: 4.2 Windows Experience Index

Intel i3 CPU M270 @ 2.40 GHz 2.40 GHz  Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable) 

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:43 AM

All replies

• Sir,   please try this :

Ctrl + Shift + ESC

if doesn't work try to download Process Explorer v15.05 : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:10 AM
  • I forgot to mention I have tried Alt-F4, Alt-Tab and Ctl-Esc with no results.  I did mention that I have already downloaded and installed Process Explorer in hopes that I can minimize enough windows to get to it the next time the situation occurs and try to close some applications / processes.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:11 PM