none
Subsite inheriting permissions from Site in a different hierarchy

Question

• Has any one been able to fix a problem where you have subsites that inherit permissions from a parent that isn't possible based on SharePoint security model? This all happened after MS updated all of our sites (282) and can't tell us what the update was, but now I have subsites I can't break inheritance of two sites that are pointing to a site out-of-bounds (not in path). I have tried all front-end type things like adding perms, breaking inheritance, saving as a template (to maybe recreate site) -- option no longer available for some reason on all our sites --, and now I am hoping you might know of a rollback/reset backend method to force inheritance to real parent or force a member change of some kind to jar this thing back to normal. I have a bunch of subsites (child) below each of these affected sites.

Any new ideas are welcome!

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:08 PM

Answers

• This sounds like a bug you need to report to Microsoft support. They were pretty quick to help me when they broke my tenant as part of an update. Although I'm not sure about more complicated situations yet.

In terms of updates MS will push them out whenever they feel like, you're not going to see notifications ahead of time or afterwards in most cases. It's only the big ticket items that get publicised.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:15 PM

All replies

• Please clarify few queries to be more specific.

Is this issue happening in all templates or in specific template?

What kind of update happened?

Is this problem only on existing site/sub site or in the new sites as well?

Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal

Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:45 AM
  • This is only happening to two specific subsites that are in use, that have other subsites. They were built based on Team Site templates many months ago and contain libraries and all those goodies.

MS couldn't tell me what changes happened to all of our 282 sites, but it was the same day they released updates related to this KB (3134824) on June 1st....even though they planned to update SP Online in January.

So, old team sites, inheriting unbreakable permissions from the wrong/impossible parent site. To me this scream backend SQL db corruption, but what do I know = )

Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:56 PM
  • This sounds like a bug you need to report to Microsoft support. They were pretty quick to help me when they broke my tenant as part of an update. Although I'm not sure about more complicated situations yet.

In terms of updates MS will push them out whenever they feel like, you're not going to see notifications ahead of time or afterwards in most cases. It's only the big ticket items that get publicised.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:15 PM
  • I agree 100% = ) They usually tell me they "warned" us many months ago in some KB article that is post-dated. Oh well.

I am already working with 1st level, have been for a week. I have most often found the answers myself out and about in forums and blogs. That is why I am here. I have tried SPD, PowerShell, and a bunch of other tricks......when I know if offshore would get with MS engineer backend guys this would be resolved quickly. I don't blame them, they aren't allowed to look at backend except for using fiddler to trace/capture activities to pass on. I could definitely tell other customers the drawbacks of cloud services at this point = )

Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:26 PM
  • I did hear about someone on TechNet complaining they had permission that were apparently jumping the site collection boundary in on-prem 2013. It hasn't happened often but there may be an interesting bug there.

The cloud isn't perfect is it. On the other hand it does protect us from ourselves to a fair degree.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:50 PM
  • I at least like that they are forcing us to newer versions, whether we are ready or not. As a productivity champion I am happy, even though I have to represent customer confusion when it looks like I am the one who didn't plan for it = )
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 2:14 PM