How to link to a content database from SharePoint Designer RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new content database and want to connect from SharePoint designer.

When I click on 'database connection' from SharePoint designer and enter the proper information I get a permission error.  However I am able to connect from SQL Server Management Studio to the content database.

Is there a work around?

Thank you

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Dora,

I think I see what might be the confusion. If you have an external MySQL database and you wish to have SharePoint Designer connect to it (let's say, to build a Data Form Web Part and display data from the external system), you connect to it directly from SharePoint Designer.

There is no need to build a Content Database for this purpose. Content Databases merely host Site Collections within the farm, they are not used to bring data in such as you would with a SQL Server Integration Services job.

In fact, Microsoft strictly prohibits a direct connection to a Content Database - to avoid deadlocks and other issues. Connecting directly to a SharePoint Content Database is taboo and could place you in a non-supported state (even for something as a trigger, for example).

If a direct connection to the DB from SharePoint Designer is not desirable, and you have SharePoint Server 2007 Enterprise, you could connect via the Business Data Catalog for read purposes. If and when you upgrade to SharePoint 2010, you will be able to take advantage of the newer Business Connectivity Services (which replaces the BDC's functionality) and utilize that service.

Hope this helps

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:51 AM
  • I created a new content database and created two tables that were loaded with data from our data warehouse. I then defined external content types in SharePoint designer 2010, and set the business connectivity services object permissions. From SharePoint ‘site actions’ I created two ‘external lists’ that connect to the external content types.  Data updated in the SharePoint site will automatically appear in database and visa-versa.

I figured it out and am all set! :-)

Thanks

Friday, April 13, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• Connecting to databases is intended for External data systems.  A content database is internal to SharePoint and there shouldn´t be any need to connect to it.  I imagine the application pool or service account would work.

The bigger question is why would you need/want to connect to a ShareePoint content DB in Designer?

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:21 PM
    Answerer
  • My goal is to import data from an external MySQL database and display it in SharePoint.

I was thinking that if I created  new content database and added tables for the data that is imported, then I would create a SharePoint interface to it.

I am open to suggestions. Is there a better approach?

Thank you

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Hi Dora,

I think I see what might be the confusion. If you have an external MySQL database and you wish to have SharePoint Designer connect to it (let's say, to build a Data Form Web Part and display data from the external system), you connect to it directly from SharePoint Designer.

There is no need to build a Content Database for this purpose. Content Databases merely host Site Collections within the farm, they are not used to bring data in such as you would with a SQL Server Integration Services job.

In fact, Microsoft strictly prohibits a direct connection to a Content Database - to avoid deadlocks and other issues. Connecting directly to a SharePoint Content Database is taboo and could place you in a non-supported state (even for something as a trigger, for example).

If a direct connection to the DB from SharePoint Designer is not desirable, and you have SharePoint Server 2007 Enterprise, you could connect via the Business Data Catalog for read purposes. If and when you upgrade to SharePoint 2010, you will be able to take advantage of the newer Business Connectivity Services (which replaces the BDC's functionality) and utilize that service.

Hope this helps

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Hi,

In this case as you are creating a new database and importing data into it externally do not call it as a content database. The reason is that this term has its own meaning in sharepoint. 

You can refer this link for connection:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/create-a-data-view-HA010094804.aspx

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:59 AM
  • I created a new content database and created two tables that were loaded with data from our data warehouse. I then defined external content types in SharePoint designer 2010, and set the business connectivity services object permissions. From SharePoint ‘site actions’ I created two ‘external lists’ that connect to the external content types.  Data updated in the SharePoint site will automatically appear in database and visa-versa.

I figured it out and am all set! :-)

Thanks

Friday, April 13, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Yes, I learned that SP security does not allow for access and displaying the data from a table that you create in the content database.  I simply created a new DB and tables and connected to it.  All set :-)
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Rashu...I actually created a "content database" crom central admin.  It was a content database and that was the issue. Apparently we cannot add tables into a content database and access the data as external content. I am all set.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:33 PM