none
Deploy Pre/Post Windows Updates in a Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use the pre and post install task sequences to install windows updates for Windows 10 using MST 2013 U1. 

I have my customsettings.ini file pointing to our WSUS server. When I watch the deployment I can see the task sequence reaching for updates, finding them and it appears to down them pre and post - but it never installs. Once the deployment is finished if I search for updates all the updates are there and not installed. 

I have tried to research this but all I can really find is information regarding using SCCM for deployments and not much about MDT. Is there something specific I need to have configured on the WSUS server as well? Thanks 

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:55 PM

All replies

• What do your logs show?

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Ok so I think the issue was that we had an OU that these machines get dropped into that the WSUS server couldn't talk to. Our server team states they fixed that. 

So now I have a different issue. Windows 7 and Windows 10 systems see the updates, downloads them and applies them. However, it takes SEVERAL passes before it finds updates. So the task sequence searches for about 5-10 minutes, reboots then repeats. It has to do this 5 or 6 times before it locates updates and downloads them.

I can post logs, just need to know which log. 

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Search for ZTIWindowsUpdate.log and upload it to OneDrive or another public share please :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:26 PM
  • So I am not finding this update log on any of the machines - even if I search for it prior to the end of the deployment.

Out of nowhere it appears that Windows 10 updates are working fine now, but Windows 7 updates are still jacked up. The process is always the same, initializing WSUS update process, searches for updates, reboots, repeats. It does this 7 times before it finds and installs updates.

I did some digging in ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf script and noticed there are two lines near the top:

Const MSIT_WU_REBOOT_MAX = 7

Const MAX_UPDATES = 100

If I change the variables to something like 3 and 1000 respectively... the machine will only reboot 3 times but it will NOT install updates like it does during the 7 passes.

Friday, January 8, 2016 4:04 PM
  • No one has any additional ideas?
    Monday, January 11, 2016 6:58 PM
  • Not without logs.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, August 11, 2017 7:34 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:00 AM