none
Make the secondary DPM server the primary RRS feed

Answers

• Sorry was in DPM 2007 land there - shame, I liked that DPM script :)

If you right click the protected datasource from the secondary DPM server and choose to switch disaster protection, this is not reliant on the primary DPM server being there. On my test network I just shutdown my primary, selected three databases I was protecting and chose the switch disaster protection option and it kicked off a consistency check and protected successfully. Admittedly I didn't do anything to the agents on the protected host so that might be part of the problem.

I also tried using the start-productionserverswitchprotection command and this went through OK on my test. On the protected computer have you re-run the setdpmserver command and pointed to the secondary?

• Marked as answer by Still Grey Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:03 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:18 AM

All replies

• If you are running DPM 2010 you can do this from the GUI. Select the data source and choose to switch protection.

There is also a good post about this here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmdrbackup/thread/4e7696cb-e721-4ee2-95cc-810199b119ae/

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Thanks, I had seen that thread.

The first option is not an option if you do not have the primary server.

The second option is not an option as that script is not in 2010 :(

Grey
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:07 PM
  • Sorry was in DPM 2007 land there - shame, I liked that DPM script :)

If you right click the protected datasource from the secondary DPM server and choose to switch disaster protection, this is not reliant on the primary DPM server being there. On my test network I just shutdown my primary, selected three databases I was protecting and chose the switch disaster protection option and it kicked off a consistency check and protected successfully. Admittedly I didn't do anything to the agents on the protected host so that might be part of the problem.

I also tried using the start-productionserverswitchprotection command and this went through OK on my test. On the protected computer have you re-run the setdpmserver command and pointed to the secondary?

• Marked as answer by Still Grey Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:03 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:18 AM
  • forgot to mention this is the powershell command I used.

Start-ProductionServerSwitchProtection -protectiontype protectfromps -username adminsitrator -domainname jdev -productionserver $ps

I was prompted for the password and entered and protection flipped. In my case I had to choose the protection again and it re-used the existing replica and recovery point volumes.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Also look at the start-switchprotection command

NAME
        Start-SwitchProtection

SYNOPSIS
        Runs on the secondary DPM server to switch protection for a set of data sou
        rces.

SYNTAX
        Start-SwitchProtection [-ProtectionGroup] -Datasource [-Async] [<CommonPara
        meters>]

DESCRIPTION
        The Start-SwitchProtection cmdlet is run on the secondary DPM server to swi
        tch protection for a set of data sources.

PARAMETERS
        -ProtectionGroup
            The name of a protection group.

-Datasource
            A Windows file system share or volume, Microsoft SQL Server database, M
            icrosoft Exchange storage group, Microsoft SharePoint farm, Microsoft V
            irtual Machine, DPM database, or system state that is a member of a pro
            tection group.

-Async
            Allows the user to indicate that the cmdlet should run asynchronously.
            This is useful with cmdlets that take a long time to complete. The cont
            rol returns to the user immediately after the operation starts. The pro
            gress of the operation is communicated to the user periodically. This i
            s useful when building a GUI using cmdlets. It is not used when working
             with the DPM Management Shell.

<CommonParameters>
            This cmdlet supports the common parameters: Verbose, Debug,
            ErrorAction, ErrorVariable, WarningAction, WarningVariable,
            OutBuffer and OutVariable. For more information, type,
            "get-help about_commonparameters".

REMARKS
        To see the examples, type: "get-help Start-SwitchProtection -examples".
        For more information, type: "get-help Start-SwitchProtection -detailed".
        For technical information, type: "get-help Start-SwitchProtection -full".

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Thanks again :)

I am not sure if that was the script I was trying.  I know I was trying protectiontypedpm or something not ps.  Whatever I was doing kept giving an error for password which I had the variable in my attempts.  Perhaps being prompted would have worked.

In any case I gave of and formated the box and am starting over.

Will try again in a couple of weeks perhaps.

Thanks so much,

Grey
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:43 AM
  • . On the protected computer have you re-run the setdpmserver command and pointed to the secondary?

I did do that and it seemed to be happy, but the DPM box never came around

Thanks

Grey
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Hi Grey,

Are you trying to make this switch temporarily or will it be a permanent switch? If you are trying to make the secondary become the permanent primary, you should contact product support and open a case. PSS can help you run a script to clean up the protection history from the database of the secondary so it can become the primary for datasources that is previously did secondary protection.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Thanks,

This was my learning testbed.

The test boxes are now reformated and going into production, but I am still learning :)

<formating a box should not be an answer lol>

Grey
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:06 PM