Win7 SP1 Monitor Issue? RRS feed

• Question

• While I'm not 100% sure Windows 7 SP1 is the reason behind my issue, it started shortly after installing SP1. I am running Win7 32 bit w/SP1 with the latest video drivers from nvidia.

My problem: Every so often, when the monitor turns off (it's set to after 15 minutes) the light on the monitor stays blue instead of turning amber and the monitor won't turn back on if I move the mouse or type on the keyboard. The computer is still on and at full power. If I unplug/plug in the power cord from the back of the monitor it starts working again immediately. It will work for a few days and randomly stop responding. Anyone else experienced this since installing SP1?

I have a KVM switch and I've taken it out of the loop so we'll see if that makes a difference, but I doubt it. I connected the other set of cables for the KVM switch to a laptop and the monitor still wouldn't turn on until unplugged/plugged in. I could tell the mouse and keyboard were working.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:38 AM

All replies

• Hi willo,

Thanks for the post!

Based on your discription, the  monitor cannot work unless re-plugged. Do you mean it cannot wake up from sleep or cannot display after start?

How about trying another monitor? How about this monitor working on other system?

I suggest you check the physical connection on this monitor. And update the BIOS to the latest one.

If it cannot wake up from sleep, please check if there's any settings for waking the computer. Click start, input CMD in the search box, then run the cmd. Input powercfg -devicequery wake_armed , what's the result?

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Hello Miya Yao,

I appreciate your response.

When working properly, the light on the monitor goes from blue to amber after 15 minutes of inactivity (Power Options – "Turn off the display:" set to "15 minutes"). The monitor turns on when I move the mouse.

Lately, after a day or two the monitor turns off, but the light on the monitor stays blue as if it’s still on. It’s almost as if the monitor still thinks it's on (but there isn’t a picture). Moving the mouse does not turn the monitor back on. Yes, if the monitor’s power is re-plugged it starts working immediately.

I checked the connections on the monitor and they all look good. I already have the latest BIOS available from HP. My video card is an nvidia GeForce 9500 GT w/the latest drivers. This is a desktop so it's always on.

When I ran CMD powercfg –devicequery wake_armed it returned:
    Intel(R) PRO/100VE Network Connection
    Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 (IntelliType Pro)
    Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (IntelliType Pro)
    Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Update:
    Removing the KVM switch from the mix did not fix it. It wouldn’t respond again this morning until re-plugged.

My next step will be to connect the monitor to a different computer (although that computer is also running Win7 SP1) as a test and let it run for a few days. I also have another monitor I can connect to the original computer to see if it exhibits the same behavior. I will report back in a few days with the results.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I can confirm this issue as well, when the computer turns off the monitor after inactivity, the power light stays on but no picture, mouse and keyboard seem to have no affect. Reconnecting the monitor cable allows it to start working again. 

Turn off display after: 20 minutes

Hardware: ATI 4870

Monitor: Asus VW222

Motherboard: Asus P5E Deluxe

Not sure about driver versions.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I have the same problem, however this happens on HP laptops, 8440p and 8540w. Only way to "wake" the display is to put the machine in sleep mode and then restart it again. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP-1 Chipset: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M Latest drivers for chipset and graphics. Kind regards, Magnus
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Update:

I connected an old monitor to the system and ran it for a few days without having trouble. I connected my other monitor (the one that experienced the problem) to an HP laptop running Win7 64Bit SP1 and did not have any problem.

My monitor model number is HP f1905.

Based on this test, it would appear that the monitor is operating correctly. I have since reconnected everything back to the way it was. I haven't been running things long enough to see if the problem comes back.

One observation: When I look at Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution on the system experiencing the problem, it actually shows Display: HP 1905f. On the laptop it shows Display: Generic Non-PnP Monitor when the monitor is connected.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Check with HP for updated monitor drivers (there may not be any).

Also check with HP or the video card maker for updated drivers.

HP Support & Drivers
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Contact HP
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

HP Forums
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/

Check HP Support and ask in the HP forums as there may be known issues and solutions.

Hope this helps.
    Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. There are no drivers for my monitor on HP's site. There also aren't any new updates for my video card drivers. I will try the forum.

I experienced the issue again this evening.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 2:31 AM
  • I will probably jinx myself, but I think the problem has been resolved. I ran the video driver install from Nvidia again and rebooted. I set the monitor to sleep after 1 minute (instead of 15) and let it go into sleep mode about 30 times in a row without any problem. Since that, the computer has been up and running since Sunday and I haven’t experienced the issue. The monitor is still set to sleep after 1 minute. Early next week I will set it back to 15 minutes.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, April 8, 2011 1:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by willo97 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:28 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

As you found out the video drivers can affect the monitor's sleep and hibernation. Sounds like
    you have it under control. Very good troubleshooting.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Well, bad news. I changed it so the monitor would sleep after 30 minutes and within two days the problem occurred again. Apparently the video driver reinstall didn't make a difference. I'm not sure what to think at this point.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 1:29 AM
  • Nvidia recently released a new set of drivers and that did not resolve the issue either.

I've been in contact with Nvidia technical support and they gave me a few things to try.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

This may not be a video driver issue....... sounds like something else that is intermittant.

Did you check with HP Support and ask in the HP forums for known issues? Could be the
    monitor.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:21 PM