none
DPM2012SP1 RU3, Symantec SEP 12.1RU3 and IBM x3550M4 BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Not directly a question, and not even directly a MS/DPM issue, I'm just sharing info if someone happens to run into a similar situation. 

We had a case where our DPM2012 SP1 RU3, installed on Server 2012 and running on IBM x3550 M4 with all the latest firmwares and updates installed, kept on power-cycling itself without any prior notice or event logs (on either Windows or IBM IMM).

We suspected a hardware issue, and changed half of the parts to the server, and the moved into reinstalling the OS and DPM.

None worked, until it was discovered by IBM support that it was Symantec's "teefer2.sys" interfering apparently with some parts of the DPM/VSS in suchs maner that it kept on crashing the whole server.

After uninstalling the Symantec, the server and DPM has been stable as a rock.

Antti

Antti Laatikainen IT Security Manager Santen Europe

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry to hear that, I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

Teefer is the firewall driver. Teefer get the packets from network interface.

If possible please involve Symantec support team and provide them necessary logs to reproduce same issue to find a permanent solution.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5887

Regards,

Chetan

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:44 PM
  • Hi!

Thanks for your input, I just opened the case in MySupport.

Currently the system is running OK without virus protection, which is of course not a good situation.

Yours,

Antti

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Hi Antti,

Has the issue resolved now? Could you share the support case with me?

Best Regards,

Chean

Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Hi!

After upgrading to 12.1 RU4 client, this system (as well as other x3550M4/W2012/Sep12.1RU3 combos that were powercycling themselves) has been stable again.

Symantec support identified the file teefer2.dll for being responsible for these crashes, and that file is part of the network protection module. It was a bit surprising to me, since Sep12.1RU3 was documented to be fully compatible with Win2012.

But, the main thing is that the system works now. :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:01 AM