none
Find locked file on a Terminal Server RRS feed

• Question

• We run a 2008 R2 Terminal Server with upwards of 100 users logged in.  We have an application that most of these users can be running and when they are in this application there are many shared files that can be open.  Every once in a while we get a locked file and we are having problems telling which user has the lock.  We have used process explorer, but it only tells you who all have a handle to a particular file, it doesn't tell you who has is currently locked.  Is there another tool that can tell us who has a particular file locked?  We also don't want to just start logging people off just to find who had a file locked!  Thank you.
    Friday, March 1, 2013 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Process monitor should be the correct way for finding file locking - for some types of files, if a file is opened by a specific user, it is locked for other users. Also Computer Management should also provide the same function:

Select "Manage Computer" (Open "Computer Management")
    click "Shared Folders"
    choose "Open Files"

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 8, 2013 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Process monitor should be the correct way for finding file locking - for some types of files, if a file is opened by a specific user, it is locked for other users. Also Computer Management should also provide the same function:

Select "Manage Computer" (Open "Computer Management")
    click "Shared Folders"
    choose "Open Files"

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 8, 2013 6:55 AM
  • The "Manage Computer" / "Shared Folder" / "Open Files" method works great for users that are not working through Remote Desktop.  The bulk of our users are connected via Remote Desktop and it is with them that I'm having problems determining who has the file locked for write access.  I'm back to the main problem where Process Explorer will give me a list of all of the open handles to a particular file, but how can I tell which of the hundred users has it locked for write access?  That is the user that has the file tied-up so that other users can't get access.

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:42 PM
  • what type of application are the users using?
    Friday, August 30, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Our users are running a FoxPro database application that was written in-house.  The working set is generally around 20 or so tables open per user with a large portion of those being common among all users.  My problem is that Process Explorer does not show me which user has a particular table locked!

Friday, August 30, 2013 8:12 PM
  • This should not have been marked as answer as the context where this works is only on a peer to peer network, not terminal server.  There are no Open Files showed Locked in a terminal server when you have this type of deadly embrace between 2 or more remote desktop users.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:05 PM
  • this question is useless and has no bearing on the problem!!!
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 4:23 PM