How to speed up the App-V client sync process on a VDI Client RRS feed

• Question

• afternoon

We have installed the App-V 5.0 into our VDI base image successfully but when we spin up a VDI user session, no apps are presented unless I  launch App-V client console and click Update.  Once that is done the apps appear.

My settings are :-

UserRefreshEnabled : True

UserRefreshOnLogon : True

UserRefreshInterval : 0

UserRefreshIntervalUnit : Day

Any guidance / assistance would be appreciated to speed this up

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:11 PM

Answers

• We have the same issue and it is just the sync with the publishing server that takes a lot of time. You can verify this by setting the policy UserRefreshOnLogon : false. After you login you can start powershell and issue the "sync-appvpublishingserver 1" command. Then you can see how much time it takes before the app-v client has published all applications. In our case with appx. 15 applications it takes 4 (!) minutes.

At this moment I am building a solution by creating a scheduled task on the VDI machine which adds all App-V applications on the content share before users can log in.

I used RES WSM (you can do the same with AppSense) to create a task that publishes the app-v package to the user before launching each app-v application.

When you use proper PoSH scripts to add and publish the packages you can even eliminate the complete app-v mangement and publishing server.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, September 23, 2013 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:33 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Tuesday, October 1, 2013 7:42 PM

All replies

• Is there any pertinent information in the App-V client event log? How have you defined the publishing server on the client (PowerShell, GPO etc)?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:48 PM
  • If your user settings are scheduled correctly, you should see a Task under Task Scheduler (Microsoft\AppV\Publishing) called #_user with a trigger set to the "at the log on of any user."  If you don't see this task, your user refresh publishing settings didn't get configured right.  Once you enable user publishing (i.e. via powershell) you should see this task get created. 

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:31 PM
  • thanks for the replies

Aaron - I configured the client settings via Powershell in the template before I pushed it out, I also have a GPO that I can use ( same settings )

Don - I will check and let you know

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:45 PM
  • right I have connected back to our VDI world and the Task Scheduler has 2 entries

1_user - trigger at log on for any user and daily @ 18:00

1_global - trigger at Log on

checked the App-V log no errors just info about starting the client and then after I have clicked update I see the sync request

• Edited by JPUK Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:08 PM
  • You should remove the packages locally and then log back on to the machine.  You should see powershell.exe kick off under the user's account and then shortly after the AppVClient will run and start populating the local content directory.  You could also remove all the packages (Get-AppVClientPackage -All | Remove-AppVClientPackage) and then try running the 1_user job manually.  Once again it's going to call the powershell via the Sync .vbs file. 

Not entirely sure this is it, but this task is the job that's running the Sync at logon and bringing in any products.  I assume you're using SharedContentStore since this is VDI, so it should be fairly quick to build out all the sparse files locally. 

You also might want to remove all the packages and then run a Sync-AppVPublishingServer in Powershell using your user's credentials to ensure they have the access to add to the local VDI.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:32 PM
  • hi there

sorry for the delay in replying

Yes we are using the SharedContentStore option, we have updated the VDI Template and this seems to have sped it up a little.  Guessing something was amiss there.

I think the issue now is more the task scheduler taking an age to run the script.  Does anyone know how to speed that up?

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:08 AM
  • So refresh is fast, but task scheduler runs slow..? I am not sure what you mean here?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:34 PM
  • sorry realise my previous post didn't make 100% sense

When I log into a VDI desktop, the App-V packages seem to take longer to appear than on a normal client.   So I was wondering if the issue was related to the time it takes for the Task scheduler to start up and then run the Sync command?

Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:34 PM
  • Hello,

Well, if it takes a long time to appear, does that mean;

The scheduled task is started later?

The scheduled task takes a long time to run?

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:20 AM
  • I think it is the scheduled task that is taking time to start. It does eventually refresh, just feels a bit sluggish
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Hello,

Anyway to confirm this?

Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Just to add a few things I've discovered while testing App-V  5.0 which might be relevant:

After installing the App-V client, I am editing C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization\Client\SyncAppvPublishingServer.vbs and adding the -NoProfile parameter to the powershell.exe call.  What happened in our case was that some users had a
    Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1.  This would cause PowerShell on the App-V client computer to error and/or load slowly.

If you are using a user environment manager of some sort, you might need to add configuration to exclude the App-V folders.  See http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=316539

In my case, I'll be needing to add some exclusions to AppSense Environment Manager - at the moment I see odd App-V client refresh behaviour unless I stop the AppSense service.

Arthur.

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:05 AM
  • thanks for the updates

I have updated the VBS file on our VDI template but this hasn't made any difference, we are using AppSense so I will attempt to exclude the App-V folders.   ( So far not found how to do that )

Once logged into a VDI desktop it takes around 40 seconds for the App-V sync to complete, is this what others are experiencing?

Monday, February 11, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Hello,

Is that an initial sync or an incremental? How many packages do you have? How large are they?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:12 AM
  • hi there

its the initial sync.  

We have two packages at the moment, one weighs in at 56 mb and the other at 254 mb

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Hello,
    I have performed a sync within far less than in a non-optimized environment - have you determined if there is any bottleneck in traffic, iops etc?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:55 PM
  • hi there

only thing I have noticed is that on some physical PCs that the powershell takes an age to run, you get to see the icon in the taskbar!

that aside I can't see what else we have done on our App-V servers that would cause such a delay

• Edited by JPUK Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Hello,

Ok, I can guess of course that those PCs are slow and you should upgrade them - but unfortunately I don't have enough of information or input from you to determine that his would be reasonable or not.

Any chance you could perhaps elaborate your scenario and determine why powershell should be slow? How do you see powershell execute?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:52 PM
  • hi there

thanks for your replies

we have built an environment in which the publishing and management functions are on server 1 and the SQL db's are on server 2.  The clients receive their App-V settings via a GPO.  

Once you have logged on, ( whether it be to a VDI or physical ), the powershell icon appears in the taskbar,  only once this has run you will eventually get your apps delivered.      As the scheduled task is set to run at logon, and this does start, that I started wondering if powershell was the issue

I don't know if there is any mileage in completely rebuilding our App-V server infrastructure?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:09 PM
  • I have rebuilt our environment, and the issue still remains.  everything is set up as per the Trial guide.  I get the same issue on a thick client as well as a VDI session

Znack - you mentioned you've seen faster sync times in non-optimized scenarios, was there anything special you did with these?  any help would be appreciated

do you do consultancy at all?? 

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Hello,

I have a demo env running on my laptop that outperforms your times.

Yes, I do consultancy

• Edited by znack Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:16 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Any tips for rebuilding our environment? Also do you have a contact address to discuss consultancy off line?
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hello,

The installation I did was fairly straight forward with not a whole lot of optimizations. You can find me on linkedin

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:17 PM
  • thanks, was it all on one server?  I haven't tried that yet
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Hi

Did you ever fix that? We are having similar issues

Thanks
    Massimo

Friday, September 6, 2013 4:56 AM
  • We have the same issue and it is just the sync with the publishing server that takes a lot of time. You can verify this by setting the policy UserRefreshOnLogon : false. After you login you can start powershell and issue the "sync-appvpublishingserver 1" command. Then you can see how much time it takes before the app-v client has published all applications. In our case with appx. 15 applications it takes 4 (!) minutes.

At this moment I am building a solution by creating a scheduled task on the VDI machine which adds all App-V applications on the content share before users can log in.

I used RES WSM (you can do the same with AppSense) to create a task that publishes the app-v package to the user before launching each app-v application.

When you use proper PoSH scripts to add and publish the packages you can even eliminate the complete app-v mangement and publishing server.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, September 23, 2013 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:33 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Tuesday, October 1, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Just to add a few things I've discovered while testing App-V  5.0 which might be relevant:

After installing the App-V client, I am editing C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization\Client\SyncAppvPublishingServer.vbs and adding the -NoProfile parameter to the powershell.exe call.  What happened in our case was that some users had a
    Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1.  This would cause PowerShell on the App-V client computer to error and/or load slowly.

If you are using a user environment manager of some sort, you might need to add configuration to exclude the App-V folders.  See http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=316539

In my case, I'll be needing to add some exclusions to AppSense Environment Manager - at the moment I see odd App-V client refresh behaviour unless I stop the AppSense service.

Arthur.

Hi Arthur - could you please confirm the Exclusions you added to AppSense for App-V. I am having a problem where the powershell command to sync is getting blocked as we do not allow standard users to run Powershell. This is only happening every so often, pointing to a problem with the order in which the app-v client and AppSense configs load i.e. sometimes the App-V will be slow and so the AppSense config will be in place before the App-V has had a chance to run...
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:08 PM