none
Task default changing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are a large project on Project Professional 2010 that is fixed units not effort driven, however some tasks keep changing to effort driven no matter how many times we change them back. The default setting is for all new tasks to not be effort driven. Anybody any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks

Michelle.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Michelle,

Is it happening with just one project file or with any project? In case it is just for 1 project, it might be corrupted. In case you're working with Ms Project Standard (not connected to Project Server), you can use the following XML export method to repair your project file.

Just a though: ensure that you select the option for new tasks for your project. If you selected in the drop down menu "akk new projects", it will not be applied on the current project.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:57 PM
  • I wanted to double check what you meant by "how many times we change them back", I hope you are turning off the "Effort driven" and Task Type to Fixed units for all the tasks either by Advanced tab or by changing the values in Effort driven and type column. 

Sai PMP, PMI-SP, MCTS Project, MVP Project

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Michelle --

In addition to the excellent replies from Guillaume and Sai, you might try the following:

1. Open the project in question.
    2. Apply the Gantt Chart view or any task view and make sure you have the Entry table applied.
    3. Click the Select All button (upper left corner of the table) to select EVERY task in the project.
    4. Click the Task tab to display the Task ribbon.
    5. In the Properties section of the Task ribbon, click the Information button.
    6. In the Multiple Task Information dialog, click the Advanced tab.
    7. On the Advanced page of the dialog, click the Effort Driven checkbox TWO TIMES so that the checkbox is cleared.
    8. Click the OK button.
    9. Click any task to remove the highlighting on all tasks.
    10. Right-click on the Duration column header and select the Insert Column item on the shortcut menu.
    11. In the list of available task columns, select the Effort Driven column.
    12. In the Effort Driven column header, click the AutoFilter pick list arrow button and check to see that there are only No values in the Effort Driven column.  There should NOT be any Yes values if you followed the preceding process.
    13. Save and close the project.
    14. Reopen the project again.
    15. In the Effort Driven column header, click the AutoFilter pick list arrow button again and check to see that there are only No values in the Effort Driven column.

There should NOT be any Yes values in the Effort Driven column. If you see Yes values in the Effort Driven column, then this would confirm the suspicion that Guillaume has that your project is corrupted. If your project is a Desktop-only project, saved as an MPP file, you can use the Save to XML process that he references to resolve the corruption. If you are using Project Server 2010, you will need to use the Save For Sharing feature.

But I would recommend you do the preceding testing steps first to see if your project is corrupted, or if you are simply not using the correct process to set your tasks to non-Effort Driven.  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:38 PM
  • Thank you all for the replies.

It is just 1 project that is changing from a portfolio of around 30 on Project Server 2010. We have turned off Effort Driven from the Project Options menu.

I have already carried out the steps recommended by Dale several times and it works fine with no effort driven tasks appearing. However I did this exercise on Thursday last week and today when I opened the project some tasks were effort driven again.

We do have a lot of problems with this project - task names disappear, sometimes when printing task names appear as dashes, today when I saved the display changed and all I could see was 1 square filling the whole screen but with no data present and had to close project then reboot in order for the display to return to normal.

If this project is corrupt how can we correct it? we use the sharepoint site as the document repository and for issues, risks, exceptions so will need to make sure we do not lose any of this information.

Thanks

Michelle.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Michelle --

Since you indicated that you are using Project Server 2010, it sure sounds like this project is corrupted.  The usual symptoms of a corrupted project are feature that simply do not work the way we know they should work. The ultimate sign of a corruption is a project that will not publish any more.

To resolve the corruption, you will need to use the Save for Sharing feature.  Here's how:

1. Launch Microsoft Project 2010 and connect to Project Server.
    2. Click File > Options and then click the Quick Access Toolbar tab.
    3. In the upper left corner of the dialog, click the Choose Commands From pick list and select the All Commands item.
    4. In the list of commands on the left, select the Save for Sharing item, and then click the Add button in the middle of the dialog to add this command to your Quick Access Toolbar for future use.
    5. Click the OK button.
    6. Open the possibly-corrupted project.
    7. Click the Save for Sharing button on your Quick Access Toolbar.
    8. In the Save As dialog, navigate to a location where you want to save the MPP file (such as your computer Desktop), and then click the Save button.
    9. Click File > Close to Close the MPP file.
    10. Click File > Recent and Open the MPP file again.
    11. Click File > Save As.
    12. In the Save to Project Server dialog, leave every option in place and click the Save button.
    13. Publish the project again.

Using the Save for Sharing feature is the preferred method for resolving a corrupted project in Project Server 2010 and in 2013 as well.  Beyond this, I would strongly recommend that you make sure your organization has the latest Service Packs and Cumulative Updates installed on Project Server, SharePoint, and each copy of Microsoft Project Professional as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Thanks Dale.

I've applied your suggestion and at the moment all tasks are not effort driven. I will keep checking to see if this changes.

We are scheduled (8th May) to have the latest Service Pack and Cumulative Updates installed so hopefully this will assist in the issues we are experiencing too.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:13 AM
  • Dale

It would be worth mentioning that the Status Manager changes to the person applying the Save for Sharing recommendation.

Also when checking this morning some tasks have reverted to effort driven again so hoping that the upgrade on the 8th will sort our problem out.

thanks

Michelle.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Michelle --

An unintended consequence of using the Save for Sharing feature is that Project Server 2010 changes both the Status Manager AND the Owner of the project to the PM who uses the Save for Sharing feature.  Microsoft intends to fix this behavior in a Service Pack, but I do not remember which SP they said will fix the problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:35 AM