none
The boot loader did not load an operating system. RRS feed

• Question

• My VM is installed and running but when I connect, I get the error that it didn't load an OS. "No operating system was loaded. Your virtual machine may be configured incorrectly. Exit and re-configure your VM or click restart to retry the current boot sequence again."

I downloaded a Win XP iso and used it during the initial creation of the VM. In the Firmware setting, the DVD Drive is pointed to the Win XP iso on my host PC's C:\ drive.

I never got the Wizard I've seen described, so I don't know what other configurations were possible.

How can I get up and running?

Side note: I tried 10-15 times to install a VM but always got out of memory messages (failure). Getting this one installed felt like a fluke.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:28 PM

All replies

• If your VM's settings have a "Firmware" section, then that's a Gen 2 VM operating in UEFI mode. Windows XP cannot operate that way. Rebuild it as a Generation 1/BIOS VM and install again.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:42 PM
  • Make sure it was gen1 I have an XP guest but you'll need to renew your keyboarding skills until you can get integration (vmguest.iso) services installed.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:43 PM
  • Thanks, Eric. I went through setting up another VM using the "New" selection. It allowed me to give it a name, specify the generation, etc. I receive the message that it "Failed to create the virtual hard disk." This was generated by the wizard as "Win XP.vhdx".

Any thoughts? I assigned 4Gb memory and selected default networking.

Not your job, I know, but I just don't know how to do this stuff.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:53 PM
  • With wizard still onscreen, I selected the attach virtual hard drive later option, and Hyper-V created my VM. 

When I try to connect, I get insufficient memory errors.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:56 PM
  • If you're installing from ISO then point the DVD to the XP image (ISO) here.

if you're trying to connect a VHD(x)

then create a new gen1 VM then when you get to step Connect Virtual Hard Disk choose Use an existing and point to the XP VHD.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:12 PM
  • Dave, thanks, I pointed the IDE controller 1 to my iso and still get out of memory errors. 

You lost me with XP VHD. Is this something I already have? Or is it something I need to enable or download? 

I stepped through the steps to create a new VM and made the selection you suggested. Though there was no "XP VHD." Only a VHD file bearing the name of the VM. I selected that and still get out of memory.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:30 PM
  • What operating system is on host? Are there other operational VMs? Have you tried rebooting?

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:39 PM
  • Host running Win 10 Pro. No other VMs running. I've boosted memory allocation to near the max (8gb) on my system. Had Windows run a diagnostic on my memory. Rebooted.

Is there another route to creating a VM besides through Hyper-V?

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:10 PM
  • The operating system installation itself may be problematic. You can try patching to latest cumulative update, remove / reinstall Hyper-V role or also possibly clean install it. Since this is a desktop Hyper-V issue better to reach out to subject matter experts in dedicated forum over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprovirt

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:18 PM
  • With wizard still onscreen, I selected the attach virtual hard drive later option, and Hyper-V created my VM. 

When I try to connect, I get insufficient memory errors.

"Insufficient memory" means that the physical hardware doesn't have enough to satisfy the requirements that you set. Go the other way. XP works fine in 1GB of memory.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 PM
  • You, Sir, are a wizard. The VM now runs. However, the boot loader is not loading the Win XP iso I have it pointed to. I was here, earlier today. 

Could the iso file I downloaded be bad? IOW, should I download a different one and try that?

I'm about to try VirtualBox. Maybe it will be less finicky. 

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:30 PM
  • Please let us know if you need further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Thursday, January 9, 2020 9:22 AM