Documents automatically checked out RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with an InfoPath form where I'm able to create a new form from the template just fine and it posts to the SharePoint site, but when anyone opens it and modifies the existing document that particular doc gets checked out and the next person isn't able to make any changes.  On the site that the template was originally created and tested on people are able to open the documents, make changes then hit the "email and submit" button and the document is updated without being left in a checked-out state.  I can't see any differences between the two SharePoint sites and neither has any mandatory columns configured.

Monday, November 2, 2015 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Otis- this sounds like normal behavior. When you add a new document and save it, you automatically check it in. When you edit a document, you need to check it out. When you save it, it doesn't prompt you to check it in- you have to remember to go back and do that after saving.

If you look at the versioning settings on the library and check the box to require check out, it states that you're requiring check out of documents when edited. I assume you didn't have check out required on the library in your test site, or it would have behaved the same. Of course you may have had some customization or code to perform that task for you somehow on the test site.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

You can try to remove Require Check-Out in library settings so that docs wont be automatically checked out.

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:52 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

I validated that both sites are set to Required Checkouts = No. I changed it to Yes and validated that I get an error when I hit the "email and submit" button because it isn't checked out, then changed it back to No and the document still stays checked out for no reason that I can see.  I also tried setting Document Version History to No Versioning with the same results.  As soon as the document is changed, then submitted it gets checked out to the person.  I can't find any workflows or any custom code that is different between the two sites. 

If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear.  Thanks.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:44 PM
  • Hi Krishana,

Please see the reply I posted to Cameron regarding the same suggestion.  So far no luck, but if you can think of anything else to check I would appreciate it.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:45 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions.  There was something wrong with the SharePoint site itself because the suggestions listed should have worked. I had to back it up, delete it, create it new then import all of the items again.  Now the documents no longer stay checked out when they're edited.

Friday, November 6, 2015 4:51 PM