none
Possible to Limit Task Sequences by Machine Model? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to hide or show task sequences in the customsettings.ini based on machine model? As an example I have task sequences for Windows 7 and Windows 10. Machine Model A was bought years ago and only has a Windows 7 license available to it so I wouldn't wont someone to be able to select a Windows 10 task sequence to deploy to it. Machine Model B was purchased with a Windows 10 license so it can see Windows 7 or Windows 10 task sequences. What is the "best practice" for this kind of scenario?

Currently my customsettings looks something like this. Since I have Lenovo equipment I already do a custom model for driver purposes so I thought I might be able to do task sequence management the same way. Also I'm using MDT 2013 Update 1.

[Settings]
    Priority=Init, MachineModel, ByLaptop, ByDesktop, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty, MachineModel, ModelAlias

[Init]
    MachineModel=#Left("%Model%", 4)#

'ThinkCentre M73 - Tiny
    [10AY]
    ModelAlias=M73

Monday, April 11, 2016 9:09 PM

All replies

• I believe you can use the TaskSequenceId variable in customsettings.ini to signal which models run which task sequence.
    Monday, April 11, 2016 9:43 PM
  • It's always best practice to control all Task Sequences to only run on supported models, that goes without saying. I handle this by running a "Failure HTA" that I keep on the Boot wim (so nothing has to download to the client) which only shows if the machine is NOT in the list of WMI machine models for that Task. Now this will obviously protect your machines from running Tasks you don't want them to but it will fail, not very elegant. You could create an HTA-based front-end menu and call it from the prestart, it could check which model (again, simple WMI call) is running and present the menu options you allow, or similar. It's not hard at all, you just need to call a menu which will call the TS you want, after hardware validation...

Jack

• Edited by JFetter Monday, April 11, 2016 10:01 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 10:00 PM