locked
Email imported from Word inserts random characters instead of TAB RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    To generate an email in our case management system, it first produces a word document with the contents and then imports this into Outlook as an Email.  This all worked fine. However since 1707 (Build 8326.2062) has installed any TABs in the word document are being converted to "ÂÂÂÂ". Has anyone got any idea what has changed from 1706 that could cause this or is this a new bug please? We are UK based, if it is an encoding issue of some sort.   Thanks.

    Friday, August 4, 2017 11:36 AM

Answers

  • This seems to have been something very specific to build 8326.2059 as it appears to be fixed in the later ones.
    • Marked as answer by Udef2015 Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:40 PM
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:40 PM

All replies

  • Hi Udef2015,

    Thanks for reporting the issue here. 

    Does this issue affect all users in your environment? 
    As per your concern about the recent update, I did much research but currently I cannot confirm if this is a known issue as there is no documentation stating this. 

    >> it first produces a word document with the contents and then imports this into Outlook as an Email. 

    By this, do you mean the issue appears when you use Mail Merge to generate mails from Word? If so, which format do you use when sending the mails?

    If possible, it would be better that you can provide the detailed steps to reproduce the issue then we can take a further look at it.

    Any findings, pelase post back at ease.

    Best regards,
    Yuki Sun



    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    Monday, August 7, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

    Thanks for your reply. Yes as far as I am aware it is affecting all of our users running build 1707 of outlook, but not earlier builds.

    As this case management software is obtained from a third party, I don't have all the technical details of exactly how it works, but this is what it does:

    The software generates a Word document which has mail merge fields in it. This is saved to a network share and is then dumped into the body of the email in Outlook by the software. It is generated as an HTML email.

    I can see the Word document on my screen before it is dumped it into Outlook email, and it displays fine there. Everything else displays correctly, it is just any TAB that is incorrectly displayed as "ÂÂÂÂ" in the email.

    Many thanks

    Monday, August 7, 2017 11:38 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

    Further to my reply above, I have now realised that single quote(') is also converted ’.

    I am convinced it's an HTML encoding issue, but nothing has changed with our case management system or settings since going from build 1706 to 1707. It is also still fine with Outlook 2013.

    Thanks

    Monday, August 7, 2017 3:30 PM
  • This seems to have been something very specific to build 8326.2059 as it appears to be fixed in the later ones.
    • Marked as answer by Udef2015 Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:40 PM
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:40 PM
  • Hi Udef2015,

    Great to see that the issue has been fixed and many thanks for sharing the information with us.

    Best regards,
    Yuki Sun


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:52 PM