Microsoft Word 2007 will not take my product key! RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows XP and Microsoft Office trial for my laptop. On the bottom of my laptop I found a sticker that had a product key from Microsoft on it. I tried that number and it didn't work for activating word. 

Also we bought 2007 word for the desktop computer we have at home. We still have the CD for it and the product key, so I tried that as well and it still didn't work! Help?

Saturday, January 8, 2011 5:58 PM

Answers

• The product key on the bottom of the computer is the one for Windows, not for Word and the one that you have for Word 2007 will not work for the trial version that you have, which could well be the 2010 version.  Depending upon the End User Licence Agreement for the 2007 version that you bought, you may legally be able to install it on a laptop as well as on a desktop, provided both are not in use at the one time by two different people.  To do that, you should uninstall the trial version and then install the 2007 version from the CD.

Otherwise, you will have to go on-line and purchase a Product Key for the Trial Version.

See:

http://www7.buyoffice.microsoft.com/usa/faq.aspx?culture=en-US
     -- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"DoubleC15" wrote in message news:ec48cecd-3f08-49a8-8cf8-fbe414e3d8ea@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have windows XP and Microsoft Office trial for my laptop. On the bottom of my laptop I found a sticker that had a product key from Microsoft on it. I tried that number and it didn't work for activating word.

Also we bought 2007 word for the desktop computer we have at home. We still have the CD for it and the product key, so I tried that as well and it still didn't work! Help?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:38 AM
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:16 PM